help, my cubemaps are being weird.

spot_the_spy

L1: Registered
May 18, 2010
yo, so finally I've got an ok, playable map (my first, serious project). I try building my cube maps, I have env_cubemap entities to. but i end up getting errors like this:

Requesting texture value from var "$basetexture" which is not a texture value (material: skybox/sky_harvest_night_01rt)
Requesting texture value from var "$basetexture" which is not a texture value (material: skybox/sky_harvest_night_01bk)
Requesting texture value from var "$basetexture" which is not a texture value (material: skybox/sky_harvest_night_01lf)
Requesting texture value from var "$basetexture" which is not a texture value (material: skybox/sky_harvest_night_01ft)
Redownloading all lightmaps
] buildcubemaps
Current mod isn't in a subdirectory of "game"!
bounce: 1/1 sample: 1/5
bounce: 1/1 sample: 2/5
bounce: 1/1 sample: 3/5
bounce: 1/1 sample: 4/5
bounce: 1/1 sample: 5/5
*** Error: Skybox vtf files for sky_harvest_night_01 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
Can't load skybox file sky_harvest_night_01 to build the default cubemap!

and it keeps the dreaded checkerboard textures. i guess somethings wrong with the skyboxes vtf? pics can be provided.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
All of that is normal. Have you typed mat_reloadallmaterials in console in main menu after buildcubemaps and mat_specular 1? That might get rid of your checkerboard.

spot_the_spy

May 18, 2010
yep, I'm following a bumch of guides, including the one on the official valve SDK wiki.

*** Error: Skybox vtf files for sky_harvest_night_01 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
Can't load skybox file sky_harvest_night_01 to build the default cubemap!***

does this mean anything?

spot_the_spy

May 18, 2010
really? I guess ill just try it again a few times, and see if it works. it's just on my other maps the process worked an now it's not.

Last edited:

spot_the_spy

May 18, 2010
ok now, i realize it's only the water with the janky reflections. anyone know the dealio with this? Im using the normal water from well, in case that means anything.