help, my cubemaps are being weird.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by spot_the_spy, Sep 8, 2010.

1. spot_the_spy

spot_the_spy L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    yo, so finally I've got an ok, playable map (my first, serious project). I try building my cube maps, I have env_cubemap entities to. but i end up getting errors like this:

Requesting texture value from var "$basetexture" which is not a texture value (material: skybox/sky_harvest_night_01rt)
    Requesting texture value from var "$basetexture" which is not a texture value (material: skybox/sky_harvest_night_01bk)
    Requesting texture value from var "$basetexture" which is not a texture value (material: skybox/sky_harvest_night_01lf)
    Requesting texture value from var "$basetexture" which is not a texture value (material: skybox/sky_harvest_night_01ft)
    Redownloading all lightmaps
    ] buildcubemaps
    Current mod isn't in a subdirectory of "game"!
    bounce: 1/1 sample: 1/5
    bounce: 1/1 sample: 2/5
    bounce: 1/1 sample: 3/5
    bounce: 1/1 sample: 4/5
    bounce: 1/1 sample: 5/5
    *** Error: Skybox vtf files for sky_harvest_night_01 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
    Can't load skybox file sky_harvest_night_01 to build the default cubemap!

and it keeps the dreaded checkerboard textures. i guess somethings wrong with the skyboxes vtf? pics can be provided.

2. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    All of that is normal. Have you typed mat_reloadallmaterials in console in main menu after buildcubemaps and mat_specular 1? That might get rid of your checkerboard.

3. spot_the_spy

Positive Ratings:
    yep, I'm following a bumch of guides, including the one on the official valve SDK wiki.

*** Error: Skybox vtf files for sky_harvest_night_01 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
    Can't load skybox file sky_harvest_night_01 to build the default cubemap!***

does this mean anything?

4. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    Nope, everyone gets it

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. spot_the_spy

Positive Ratings:
    really? I guess ill just try it again a few times, and see if it works. it's just on my other maps the process worked an now it's not.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  6. Draco18s

Draco18s L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Also try restarting TF2. I've had times where mat_reloadallmaterials doesn't work.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. spot_the_spy

Positive Ratings:
    ok now, i realize it's only the water with the janky reflections. anyone know the dealio with this? Im using the normal water from well, in case that means anything.

8. spot_the_spy

Positive Ratings:
    never mind thanks everyone, I got them working thanks. can a mod delete this thread?