Help me out: Play my research game!

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
As some of you will know, I'm studying game design at university. I'm currently doing my final project: i'm researching how touchscreen games are controlled, and I need people to play the game i've made so I can gather lots of data.

unity_2017-07-27_16-54-21.png

My game's called Tactus. It’s a pac-man-alike Android mobile game with three different control schemes. I would love people to download it, play it – it should only take about ten minutes- and allow it to upload some tracking data that I can analyse for my dissertation. A whole blog post about the game is linked below, if you scroll down, but if you’re not interested in the details you can just click here to download, install the APK as usual, and play on. Two things to note:

• The legal details of what I want the data for and why are listed at the start of the app. Legally, you have to agree to them to play it. There’s nothing personally identifiable, but I have to get your permission as if I were sticking electrodes to your head or something.
  • If you’re under eighteen, I can’t use your data. Sorry! It’s a legal research thing – I would need your parents permission, and there’s no real way to verify that online. Play the game if you want, but don’t click “Upload” when prompted.
That’s all you need to know if you just want to play – have fun! Thanks for reading this far - every person who plays this game is a massive favour to me.

(A little more information about the game is available at my blog here)

Last edited:

Hyperion

L16: Grid Member
aa
Jun 8, 2015
Some feedback.

The swipe was easily the best but overall all of them had problems.

Tap to nav didn't have much control because it rarely picked good route where gems haven't been collected yet. That can be countered by taking shorter routes but that takes away the biggest benefit of tap to nav that is not having to do anything for a while.

Tilting was awful. I was having a jog with our dog in bright sunshine and I could barely control it. Tilting has the fundamental problem where it works only when you are still by the table. In bed probably impossible.

Swiping was the only intuitive and working system - mostly. I think its problems had to do more with the code than actual way of control. I found myself often stuck in corners when I swiped too early and I think I got lowest score with it. I don't know why but it felt like I was moving two times slower with swipe. If it turned automatically when it can, it would be killer and way to go.

Last edited: