Help me fix Shadow Moses!

Kazuhira

L2: Junior Member
Jul 2, 2010
Ive been reduced to making the rest of my map in sections for the sole reason that the whole first half of the map wont compile and I've tried everything in my power to try and get to the bottom of the problem and I'm at a loss. Yes this is a Metal Gear Solid map that I plan to release in a month or two but this is one hell of an annoying road block I'm going to admit this I suck at fixing problems in hammer when I run into a problem I cant figure out I start over again I've put a lot of work into this an I really don't feel like having to boot up my PS3 for another 4 months re doing this. The problems started happening as soon as I finished the Nuclear Warhead Storage Building. If I need to I can provide the vmf for the first half of the map (just pm me your email.) The people who help me fix this will be in the development credits.

The Main Thread For My Map (so you can see how much work I've put into it)
http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=15379

-compile log-
VBSP Advanced: -notjunc
VVIS Advanced:
VRAD Advanced:

Welcome to VBCT
Session Date: Tuesday, November 30, 2010, 10:12:11 PM
VBCT Version: 1.0L Beta

Fast Compile Selected!
Compile Start Time: Tuesday, November 30, 2010, 10:12:12 PM

-------------- Start Compile BSP ----------------
VBSP Started, Please Wait!

VBSP: d:\steam\steamapps\user\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe -leaktest -notjunc -game "d:\steam\steamapps\user\team fortress 2\tf" "D:\Steam\steamapps\user\sourcesdk_content\tf\MGSTF\CP_Ice_Bound_Inferno_2"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Jul 7 2010)
leaktest = true
notjunc = true
2 threads
materialPath: d:\steam\steamapps\user\team fortress 2\tf\materials
Loading D:\Steam\steamapps\user\sourcesdk_content\tf\MGSTF\CP_Ice_Bound_Inferno_2.vmf
ConVarRef mat_reduceparticles doesn't point to an existing ConVar
Patching WVT material: maps/cp_ice_bound_inferno_2/swamp/brick/blendswampcobble001_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/cp_ice_bound_inferno_2/brick/blendcobbletocobblesnow001_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/cp_ice_bound_inferno_2/nature/blendrockgroundwallsnow_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/cp_ice_bound_inferno_2/nature/snowblend003_wvt_patch
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (2)
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (2)
Processing areas...done (0)
Building Faces...done (0)
Chop Details...done (1)
Find Visible Detail Sides...
Merged 4984 detail faces...done (5)
Merging details...done (1)
FixTjuncs...
PruneNodes...
WriteBSP...
done (14)
writing D:\Steam\steamapps\user\sourcesdk_content\tf\MGSTF\CP_Ice_Bound_Inferno_2.prt...Building visibility clusters...
done (1)
Too many unique verts, max = 65536 (map has too much brush geometry)

Compile Complete for this module.
VBSP Completed: Tuesday, November 30, 2010, 10:12:43 PM
Abnormal Exit in VBSP ParseLog caught!
Catch: in vbsp_finish!

(I know fast compile is bad but not for testing)

Last edited:

Mr. Happy

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 16, 2008
If you fixed the leak then the log doesn't help and you need to post a new one.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Too many unique verts, max = 65536 (map has too much brush geometry)

I bet that's it. I'm just guessing, since I've never had this error.

What you'll need to do is change some of your more minor, intricate brushwork to be models. Things like hand rails, maybe stairs, that sort of thing. Small stuff that uses a lot of brushes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kazuhira

L2: Junior Member
Jul 2, 2010
I bet that's it. I'm just guessing, since I've never had this error.

What you'll need to do is change some of your more minor, intricate brushwork to be models. Things like hand rails, maybe stairs, that sort of thing. Small stuff that uses a lot of brushes.

well I got rid of most of my railings and my X trusses and well its compiling now thanks sir. hopefully after I attach the second half of the map I don't get the error. Otherwise to my dis like Ill have to cut down the map size again....

zero_rogue

L1: Registered
Sep 15, 2009
I wouldn't want to see you reduce the quality of your map.

The problem your having is a similar problem i ran into on making a rat map. at the time I did no custom models. all brushes + custom textures. I eventually ran into the same exact problem too many brushes. I came to learn how crucial models are in a map. not only do they add detail but allow you to cheaply reproduce an item(say a railing) multiple times.

From what it looks like in your pictures that's your main problem. remaking some of your brushwork to modelwork would streamline your map considerably. and also free up space for more brushwork.

all you really need to do is find brushes you use multiple times, like railings, or complicated brushes,

If done well enough you should be able to fit a quite large map.

btw, from what it sounds your map is quite large, ever think about making it a territory control ctf?