Help for first time modelling in Blender

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Megane, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Megane

Megane L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    You probably already saw the most recent TF2-Blogpost about Minecraft, and David Collins' nifty pl_minepit (as it is named now) map. He beat me to making a Minecraft map first, but I still want to make some. David will as well, one Minecraft map for each gametype, which is also what I have in mind.

Anyway, David told me that the torches and flowers etc. are not models, but in fact brushes. I didn't know you could do it that way, and wanted to model those things from the beginning. I still want to make those, so that all people who want to make minecraft maps could benefit from that.

Only issue is: 'm a total beginner.

Blenders odd control scheme is one thing, but I'm already lost at how to make the yellow flowers and roses.

[​IMG]

As you can see, in MC, the flowers consist of two of the respective flowers 16x16 texture (of course, those have transparency) put orthogonally to each other.

Now, how do I realize this in Blender? Should I just slap two planes together in the same way and apply the texture on them? Of which value is the Blender unit/Hammer unit relation?

Thanks in advance!

2. Mick-a-nator

aa Mick-a-nator

Positive Ratings:
    For starters, read this. Obviously you don't have to read all of it, as in some places it goes into a great deal of detail on stuff you wont need.

To the question of the flower, I don't know how it is done in minecraft, or how Notch did it, but to make a Blender model of it, you'll need to make each plane 'double sided' (Blender, by default, shows both sides of a face, regardless of face normal, but that doesn't work in the source engine). This is done by making one side of the plane then duplicating it with shift+d but not moving its location. The normals of the new plane must be flipped (I'm sure there's a hotkey, but I don't know it. There is a button in the editing panel though). Finally, select the outer vertices and press "remove doubles" from the editing panel.
    I personally don't like that method, as it seems like there are more vertices being made than necessary, so if anyone else has a simpler method, please do tell. :)

3. maboesanman

maboesanman L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    for the flower, just make brushes in hammer that can show on one side the flower, and all other sides are nodraw, and make it a func brush

turn off the collisions, and rotate it 4 times and bam, you're done

PS. where did you get the textures?