[Help] ctf_2fort

Bad Vlad

L2: Junior Member
May 23, 2010
How? By deleteing the prop/item that it ends at?
Here's my map and the points file.
http://www.mediafire.com/?d2tomfmwwdi
Are you sure that it's becuase of leaks my map is bugged?

If your map is leaked, all of it will be rendered at once (very low FPS, especially for 2fort), water will not render and all the shadows are pitch black.

And no, the prop/item that it ends at is just the first entity that the compile program stumbled upon. You should look for a hole where the red line enters your map from the void, then patch that up.

Areaportals, by the way, are an optimisation technique, but it's no use explaining to you if you don't know how Source's visibility system works.

Martan

L1: Registered
Feb 4, 2010
If your map is leaked, all of it will be rendered at once (very low FPS, especially for 2fort), water will not render and all the shadows are pitch black.

And no, the prop/item that it ends at is just the first entity that the compile program stumbled upon. You should look for a hole where the red line enters your map from the void, then patch that up.

Areaportals, by the way, are an optimisation technique, but it's no use explaining to you if you don't know how Source's visibility system works.
I don't know how Source's visibility system works =P But can't you download my map and check if you can see what's wrong? I'm a total noob at hammer.

Drexer

L2: Junior Member
Jun 23, 2009
leak_2fort.jpg

There it is. When you took that part out, you exposed this bit. You can either stretch the wood brush to over it or the nodraw brush on the other side. The wood one is preferable due to visual appearance.

I did this for you, but note that if you're going to go around editing 2fort anymore, many more similar errors will appear. You need to read the links that they provided you and learn by yourself. That's why most people start with building a map from the ground up. It's much easier to learn slowly as you go along.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
The metaphor for leaks:

• Think of your map like a space station. The "sky" is actually a holographic wall. Outside of your map is the cold sucking void of space. It the air gets sucked out of your map, it has a leak, and every little person dies horribly.
  • Areaportals are optional and used to help the engine optimize, and I'm not going to touch on where it's good to use them. They "leak" if you can start on one side of them and reach the other. Think of them like emergency pressure doors in your space-station: It's pretty useless to have emergency doors for a room if the air can just escape through to another room.
  • The "point file" is something that the compiling tools creates whenever it finds a leak. It shows the rough path that was taken from an "inside" place (typically from a thing placed inside the map) to the outside void. Not always the shortest path, but whatever it first found.

Last edited: