Help colouring default plaster textures

DrGains

L1: Registered
Dec 2, 2014
Id like to get a few of the plaster textures colourized into orange, blue, red, etc. Im not really sure how to even grab the textures from the tf2 folder. Could someone either colour and make them into a usable hammer texture file , or show me to the right steps on doing this myself?

The textures I do want are:
-medieval/plasterwall11002
-plaster/plasterceiling006a
-plaster/plasterwall11003a
-plaster/plasterwall11005a

This is for a Beggars Bazooka jump map that Im working on:
Im planning on making the exterior somewhat like these colourful houses:
OR basically any image from googling "colourful houses"​

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
If you just want to tint them you don't need to recolor the texture at all. Just set the $color property in the material file.

DrGains

Dec 2, 2014
Yea Id be okay with just tinting them. Im not seeing any material file though, cant seem to find anything related to textures, even when I search the whole tf folder and type 'plaster'.

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
Stock assets aren't stored loose in the game files; they're packed in VPKs (in the tf/ directory). Use a program like GCFScape to open and browse through them. You want the ones that end in _dir, like ...misc_dir.vpk for material files.

DrGains

Dec 2, 2014
Thanks killohurtz I got the texture that way. Im not seeing how to tint the material with the vmt. In the "Create VMT File" theres no color option and I dont see where else to add it. Opening the vmt with vtfedit and adding the line manually spits back an error. Ill probably just change the color some other way and create individual vtfs after I guess...

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Thanks killohurtz I got the texture that way. Im not seeing how to tint the material with the vmt. In the "Create VMT File" theres no color option and I dont see where else to add it. Opening the vmt with vtfedit and adding the line manually spits back an error. Ill probably just change the color some other way and create individual vtfs after I guess...
Did it occur to you to show us the error so that we could fix it for you?

Staff Edit: Member was warned for this post.

Last edited by a moderator: