Help and suggestions about my map

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

nayðef

L1: Registered
Sep 13, 2017
Hello everyone. My name is naydef and I'm new user here and hopefully someone can help me and give me tips about my map.

Map name:
vsh_doom_town_a1

The map I'm creating is for FF2. It's the second map i'm creating and I'm stuck with impossible to find leak. I don't know what to do. I can't compile the map! I hope someone can give me suggestions to fix this problem. Log:

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Jun 14 2017)
2 threads
materialPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\materials
Loading C:\Users\Geo\Documents\vsh_doom_town_a1.vmf
ConVarRef mat_reduceparticles doesn't point to an existing ConVar
Patching WVT material: maps/vsh_doom_town_a1/koth_viaduct_event/blendgrasstocobble_viaduct002_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/vsh_doom_town_a1/nature/blenddirtgrass008b_lowfriction_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/vsh_doom_town_a1/nature/blendgroundtograss007_reducedetail_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/vsh_doom_town_a1/nature/blenddirtgrass001a_wvt_patch
Patching WVT material: maps/vsh_doom_town_a1/koth_viaduct_event/blendrockgroundwallforest_viaduct_event002_wvt_patch
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
env_cubemap pointing at deleted brushside near (2324, 384, -3380)
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
**** leaked ****
Entity prop_static (2688.00 2800.00 -3408.00) leaked!
Processing areas...done (0)
Building Faces...done (0)
Chop Details...done (0)
Find Visible Detail Sides...
Merged 1058 detail faces...done (0)
Merging details...done (0)
FixTjuncs...
PruneNodes...
WriteBSP...
done (0)
*** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_dustbowl_01 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_dustbowl_01 to build the default cubemap!
*** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_dustbowl_01 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_dustbowl_01 to build the default cubemap!
Finding displacement neighbors...
Found a displacement edge abutting multiple other edges.
Warning: overflowed 32 displacement corner-neighbor lists.Finding lightmap sample positions...
Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Building Physics collision data...
done (0) (287247 bytes)
Static prop models/props_foliage/cactus01.mdl outside the map (2944.00, 3321.41, -3408.00)
Static prop models/props_foliage/cactus01.mdl outside the map (2688.00, 2800.00, -3408.00)
Placing detail props : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Compacting texture/material tables...
Reduced 1317 texinfos to 836
Reduced 162 texdatas to 125 (7831 bytes to 5953)
Writing C:\Users\Geo\Documents\vsh_doom_town_a1.bsp
Wrote ZIP buffer, estimated size 53451, actual size 39435
7 seconds elapsed

I purposely disabled the two other compilers VVIS and VRAD in order to verify VBSP compiles the map fine. Also could you inspect the map and give suggestions? It's only my second TF2 map and only the first one where I used for the first time displacements.

I've attached the vmf

Attachments

• vsh_doom_town_a1.vmf
    3 MB · Views: 221

nayðef

Sep 13, 2017
Yea, it's early variant. Don't worry, just help me compile it. Also I like the idea of open-source maps, like Sourcemod plugins are. Just mention me, but this map is nothing more of early design and I'm already stuck with impossible to bypass leak, which somehow appeared on my first tf2 map, but here it's much worse.

Last edited:

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Well, it kinda tells you where the leak is: Entity prop_static (2688.00 2800.00 -3408.00) leaked! Load the point file, it tells you what's leaking and where it leaks to.

nayðef

Sep 13, 2017
And this is what everyone says, but there is no leak. The leak happens through displacement which is totally sealed under it with nowdraw brush. And the leak changes it's place almost every time i compile the map- the one time it's located the west part of the map, the next compile it's located in the north side. I've read enough sealing tutorials to know what leak means.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Mar 23, 2013
It compiled fine for me. Do you have radius culling on? It's the button at the top, it's an R in a red cross and we still don't have a fricking emoticon of it in this forum. Anyway, disable it. It's only purpose is to give you trouble so just turn it off forever and your compile should work.

Also your map is super unoptimized. All buildings are entirely made of func_detail, your map has a huge skybox-box around it and way too much open space.
My advice is, un-func_detail brushes that shouldn't be func_detail, lower the sky ceiling and make the outer area which player cant go to anyway a 3d-skybox.

Brilliant optimization articles are found here: http://www.optimization.interlopers.net/index.php

nayðef

Sep 13, 2017
It compiled fine for me. Do you have radius culling on? It's the button at the top, it's an R in a red cross and we still don't have a fricking emoticon of it in this forum. Anyway, disable it. It's only purpose is to give you trouble so just turn it off forever.

Also your map is super unoptimized. All buildings are entirely made of func_detail, your map has a huge skybox-box around it and way too much open space.
My advice is, un-func_detail brushes that shouldn't be func_detail, lower the sky ceiling and make the outer area which player cant go to anyway a 3d-skybox.

Brilliant optimization articles are found here: http://www.optimization.interlopers.net/index.php
Whoa, this made the trick, but can you explain me what's this option? Also I made houses prop_detail because I thought it would reduces visleaves considerably. Probably I'm wrong. The map has to have high ceiling, for high rocket jumps on FF2 x10 servers. Also can't really make good skybox, due to the fact i can't align the skybox surface with the real map surface

Mar 23, 2013
but can you explain me what's this option?

It's basicly hard mode. After getting lots of experience with hammer and doing some maps, some people might get bored of it and look for a challenge. So this option makes mapping harder for people seeking a higher difficulty in mapping.
Jokes aside, it's just broken like something Saxton Hale had his way with.

Also I made houses prop_detail because I thought it would reduces visleaves considerably. Probably I'm wrong

You aren't wrong, but trying to reduce the amount of visleafs isn't always good either. Read the articles I posted before. Source needs visleafs to calculate what can be seen and rendered and what not. If everything is func_detail, then nothing blocks visiblity and everything on your map is rendered at once which will cause poor performance. You want bigger simpler brushes to stay world brushes so they hide things from being rendered.

Also can't really make good skybox, due to the fact i can't align the skybox surface with the real map surface

http://www.tophattwaffle.com/hammer-tutorial-50-d-perfectly-lining-up-3d-skyboxes/ this is a really good tutorial