Help and suggestions about my map

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by nayðef, Sep 13, 2017.

1. nayðef

nayðef L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hello everyone. My name is naydef and I'm new user here and hopefully someone can help me and give me tips about my map.

Map name:
    vsh_doom_town_a1

The map I'm creating is for FF2. It's the second map i'm creating and I'm stuck with impossible to find leak. I don't know what to do. I can't compile the map! I hope someone can give me suggestions to fix this problem. Log:

I purposely disabled the two other compilers VVIS and VRAD in order to verify VBSP compiles the map fine. Also could you inspect the map and give suggestions? It's only my second TF2 map and only the first one where I used for the first time displacements.

I've attached the vmf

Attached Files:

2. Kobolite

Kobolite L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    you know that anyone can steal your map now right?

3. nayðef

Positive Ratings:
    Yea, it's early variant. Don't worry, just help me compile it. Also I like the idea of open-source maps, like Sourcemod plugins are. Just mention me, but this map is nothing more of early design and I'm already stuck with impossible to bypass leak, which somehow appeared on my first tf2 map, but here it's much worse.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  4. Vel0city

aa Vel0city Mission Impossible Spider

Positive Ratings:
    Well, it kinda tells you where the leak is: Entity prop_static (2688.00 2800.00 -3408.00) leaked! Load the point file, it tells you what's leaking and where it leaks to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. nayðef

Positive Ratings:
    And this is what everyone says, but there is no leak. The leak happens through displacement which is totally sealed under it with nowdraw brush. And the leak changes it's place almost every time i compile the map- the one time it's located the west part of the map, the next compile it's located in the north side. I've read enough sealing tutorials to know what leak means.

6. Da Spud Lord

Da Spud Lord L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. nayðef

Positive Ratings:
    Yea, one time I deleted all my map files except the vmf and the map compiled normally, but this time it's not working. I can't understand why it doesn't compile on my pc but it compiles on yours

8. Lampenpam

Lampenpam L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    It compiled fine for me. Do you have radius culling on? It's the button at the top, it's an R in a red cross and we still don't have a fricking emoticon of it in this forum. Anyway, disable it. It's only purpose is to give you trouble so just turn it off forever and your compile should work.

Also your map is super unoptimized. All buildings are entirely made of func_detail, your map has a huge skybox-box around it and way too much open space.
    My advice is, un-func_detail brushes that shouldn't be func_detail, lower the sky ceiling and make the outer area which player cant go to anyway a 3d-skybox.

Brilliant optimization articles are found here: http://www.optimization.interlopers.net/index.php

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. nayðef

Positive Ratings:
    Whoa, this made the trick, but can you explain me what's this option? Also I made houses prop_detail because I thought it would reduces visleaves considerably. Probably I'm wrong. The map has to have high ceiling, for high rocket jumps on FF2 x10 servers. Also can't really make good skybox, due to the fact i can't align the skybox surface with the real map surface

10. Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    It's basicly hard mode. After getting lots of experience with hammer and doing some maps, some people might get bored of it and look for a challenge. So this option makes mapping harder for people seeking a higher difficulty in mapping.
    Jokes aside, it's just broken like something Saxton Hale had his way with.

You aren't wrong, but trying to reduce the amount of visleafs isn't always good either. Read the articles I posted before. Source needs visleafs to calculate what can be seen and rendered and what not. If everything is func_detail, then nothing blocks visiblity and everything on your map is rendered at once which will cause poor performance. You want bigger simpler brushes to stay world brushes so they hide things from being rendered.

http://www.tophattwaffle.com/hammer-tutorial-50-d-perfectly-lining-up-3d-skyboxes/ this is a really good tutorial

11. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Don't use prop_detail, use func_detail instead.

12. Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    You mean use prop_static instead of prop_detail?

• Agree Agree x 2
Tags: