Help a new guy.

Batman

L1: Registered
Aug 23, 2011
Hey everyone.

So I've been map making for a while as a hobby but I've been getting into it a lot more lately and as such I get a little more ambitious with each map :p

So I have a few questions that I am sure you'll be able to help with (I already searched but couldn't really find anything that would explain it simply.)

1) I'm making a map for Zombie Fortress, a CP map. When Red capture 2 control points they gain access to a teleporter and can get to the next CP's. How do I make all of Blu team's spawnpoints move forward to a nearby location so they can keep up with chasing Red?

2) How do I test a map with friends online? I don't have my own server and Create server and using console don't work.

3) I have a large room with 3 basic lights, yet in compiler I get a warning for "too many lightstyles on a face at so-and-so co-ordinates. How can I resolve it?

That's all (for now anyway) thanks in advance for any help :)

GenEn

Jul 16, 2010
Welcome to the forums!

1) Are you trying to make it so Red will capture each set of control points in a single round? Instead of making a teleporter for the entire team to take while moving all the spawns, I would suggest splitting the map into rounds like dustbowl. Same effect of 2 CP's at a time, and you can always eliminate set up time.

2) You can't actually create an online server using the "create a server" option in-game. You'd have to set up a dedicated server by installing a tool and configuring it and whatnot.

It's easier to submit your map for a gameday under the "events" section of the website (if they'll allow mods like Zombie fortress, I don't know- check their rules before posting), but if you want a private game, you can learn how to set up a dedicated server here:

http://forums.srcds.com/viewtopic/5439

(This is the link TF2wiki suggests for setting it up, though it takes quite a bit of work getting a server online. Again, I'd recommend submitting for a gameday)

3) Copy/paste your compile log here:
http://www.interlopers.net/index.php?page=errors

Also, this kind of question post belongs in the mapping section, not tutorials, for future reference. I believe a mod will move it sooner or later.

Batman

Aug 23, 2011
Oh dear, I hadn't even noticed I had posted it here by mistake, my bad!

Hopefully a mod can move it.

A friend suggested I 'kill' the spawns so it forces them forward. The map is just one straight run of one round.

Wander

L3: Member
Sep 16, 2010
If you want to move blue spawnplaces forward (like in zf_dustbowl and zf_alpine) after a cp has been capped go to the output tab of the capture point and add an output there
Use OnCapTeam1 (red team) and send a disable or kill to both the func_respawnroom and the info_player_teamspawn entities that you dont want to use anymore
And another 2 to send an Enable to the func_respawnroom and info_player_teamspawn that you do want to work now

You can also visit www.zombiefortress.co.uk if you need any zf-specific help, you can also request your map to be tested there (im from the gfl zf server and we test new maps regularly)

Batman

Aug 23, 2011
And another 2 to send an Enable to the func_respawnroom and info_player_teamspawn that you do want to work now

So can I name just one info_player_teamspawn and duplicate it so I'm not creating a huge bundle of Outputs on the one control point?

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
1) You can't move spawn points but you can disable a bunch and then enable another bunch. So you wanna set a new spawn room's spawn points to activate when the capture point is captured.

2) Normally i'd say we run map tests on our server but as a mod specific map we can't help you as your map doesn't fall under our guidelines for gameday submissions. Playing off your computer is one way, but a strain on your computer, so your best bet is to find a zombie fortress community to help you test it.

3) Is a result of either too many different colours or too many dynamic lights. Do not name your lights unless you have to and FYI try your best not to use flashing lights as they look crap and are bad for performance.

Wander

L3: Member
Sep 16, 2010
So can I name just one info_player_teamspawn and duplicate it so I'm not creating a huge bundle of Outputs on the one control point?

Yea, you can give multiple entities the same name, and when you send a disable input to that name, all entities with that name will be disabled