Heist - the writeup

Apex_

L3: Member
Jan 23, 2008
Ideas. Something I have far too many of. Time. Something I have far too little of.

I've been trying to start this project for a month now, but keep rethinking the style and trying to draw up an interior space that balances out...I've finally gotten to the point where input on the idea may be more helpful to me than driving myself insane thinking too much.

So here's the premise: One team is after industry secrets belonging to the other, so they undertake an operation to steal these documents from a corporate office. This isn't a simple one-flag job though, the vault is virtually uncrackable without a very important item...the bomb! Basically rather than an attack/defend setup like Hillbase where the two capture points lead into the heart of the enemy base, this would be a "one in, one out" setup. The attackers would fight through the building with the case in tow containing a bomb which would blow the vault door open, and inside the vault would be a second case containing the data they must escape with and capture outside.

I keep ending up with nasty choke points when I draw in rooms, so any thoughts on types of rooms for the first floor of a corporate building (aside from a lobby of course) would be welcome. I'll keep at it and scan or redraw anything interesting I come up with to post here.

A few random things from the top of my head about the map:

- I want backtracking to be viable, so the flag carrier has multiple routes he can take

- I wanted to keep the map 2 floors only, but I might move the defender spawns up to a third floor and have multiple elevators as one-way access to the action. I could fit in janitor's closets as resupplies to compensate. I could theoretically use this mechanic to prevent servers from using instant respawn (which I personally despise :p ) on this map.

That's all I can coax out of my head for the moment, so ask away and I'll try to answer whatever gets thrown at me.

P.S. I lost my previous project, ctf_firepower, during a very unpleasant drive failure last week. R.I.P firepower :sad:

trackhed

Jan 24, 2008
first floor:

Entryway -> Cubicles -> Stairs and Bathrooms

second floor :

Hallway with offices branching off it -> Secretaries Office -> Bosses Office ->Vault

just a basic idea of what i would do

Cereal_Killer

L1: Registered
Feb 11, 2008
Seems to me like the vault should be hidden (underground or something). As for passageways: vents, rotating bookcase(or wall or something) with a light switch next to it that if shot rotates whatever it is, stairs.... Personally, I would make a really professional looking office on the top floor and then a dirty grimy floor on the bottom.

Apex_

Jan 23, 2008
I was more or less thinking of having a fancy boss's office with some secret (but stupidly obvious) entrance to the underground vault. Problem with this is working in multiple entrances to an office, though I can take liberties seeing as it's a bigwig's place.

I want to minimize the amount of floors, so I think the second floor will be the spawn rooms only, possibly with windows acting as sniper battlements over the street. Most of the action will take place on the first floor, while the basement with the "secret" vault will get some action later in the game as defenders desperately try to fend off the first cap.

Think the offense should have two routes (which would make it hard to drop in direct sewer access for the defense) or have to backtrack and fight their way out? In the latter case I would put a second spawn unlocked by the first case capture that leads to the sewers as backup for the flag carrier. In a nutshell you'd attack through the front, go down to the vault, cap the case and teammates from the newly unlocked cap could rush through the sewers to help push back out the way you came.

ugh, too much thinking. I have a headache anyway :p Thanks for the input, I'll keep toiling over it and I'm sure it'll come together eventually.