HDR vs FPS

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by J4CK8, Aug 23, 2009.

1. J4CK8

J4CK8 L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    Ok, so I pretty much already know the answer to this but is it worth sacraficing 60fps for HDR? I read somewhere that HDR shouldn't have much of an impact on fps...but who is wrong? The website or my map?

With HDR: around 20fps to start, then around 40 after a few seconds
    Without HDR: Around 80-100

So my questions:
    1) FPS beats HDR yes?
    2) Is a 60fps drop correct for HDR on a small map?

2. JoshuaC

JoshuaC L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Sounds like there's something wrong with your map. HDR should be a fairly cheap effect.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Compile your map with it. Running any map with it for yourself is all up to you. Personally I'd leave it off if the difference is that great... the visual effect is negligible in TF2.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. J4CK8

J4CK8 L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    OK, so I compiled with and without HDR and took 3 screenshots on each. I can notice small differences with the lighting on textures, but not immediatly noticable. (I'm guessing this is from the tonemap settings)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is this right?

5. Mexican Apple Thief

Mexican Apple Thief L3: Junior Member<br>LEAD FARMER

Positive Ratings:
    Yes. HDR should be very subtle. You should include it because clients have the option to turn it off. If it's really that bad though I have no idea what to say.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    You mostly only see the full effects of HDR when you're standing still, and in a fast paced game like TF2, it doesn't really make much difference if you have it on or not. Have it in, and let your clients turn their HDR off in the Options menu.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Cameron:D

Cameron:D L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    TF2 has an almost unnoticeable HDR exposure range, so it makes no huge difference.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. tanuki

tanuki L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    To be honest while the difference is slight visually it makes the most difference in terms of file size because it compiles lights twice and you have to compile 2 sets of cubemaps. On my piratelife map the filesize shot up like 20 mb (or something like that, obnoxiously larger)

• Thanks Thanks x 1