Have you used IRC?

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Shmitz, Aug 25, 2009.

?

Have you ever used Internet Relay Chat?

1. Yes, I've used IRC a lot.

18 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. I've chatted on it once or twice. It was ok.

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. I've used it, but I didn't like it much.

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. I have never used IRC.

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. Shmitz

aa Shmitz Old Hat

Positive Ratings:
    I'm just trying to gauge how familiar our community members are with IRC. This is not intended as a Steam vs. IRC debate. It used to be nobody around here even knew what it was, but now that we've grown and had some membership turnover, I'm curious if that's changed.

2. uma plata

uma plata L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yes

Make it a poll?

3. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Yep and the best thing is that it is not as rigid as steam chat and I can use it a school :p

4. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    Ahem.

...I've used IRC, didn't find it very enjoyable.

5. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    He never said we can't express our feeling about IRC. Stop being so stiff Nine.

6. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    Whassah, is that something like usenet? Or typing wall? Now get off mah lawn.

Dalnet #nohack: The excitement of helping morons all day without the risk of getting paid.

7. BrokenTripod

BrokenTripod L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I used it for a while on a community, and then I abandoned it like I've been doing recently with the Steam chat. Sometimes it's just 10x harder to get any work done with it open because I'm the type of person that reads everything that is said and reads backlog when he leaves.

So, yeah, avoiding chats. I did like it when we did use it, solely for the bot that you could interact with in clever ways. Like, getting admin/voice you'd have to say "ruby" in some way, shape or form, and it was always amusing coming up with a new one when I joined =P

EDIT: Occasionally feeling like this about the forums, as I keep reading threads I have no interest in reading >>

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  8. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    It's great for coordinating a bunch of IT folks, since you can find plenty of command-line clients.

9. Waif

Waif L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Used it a fair bit before, no real love for it though- just average.

10. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Yea, used it before. Wasn't that impressed. Not to mention the fact that i had the tendancy to accidently ping people, and apparently that's a bad thing. I've been kicked and banned for it.

11. PenPen

PenPen L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm on a few IRC rooms and every IRC room I joined is basically a bunch of guys idling.

Anyway, if we are using the Steamchat I don't see the point of opening a new IRC room. That'd be like splintering into two groups of people into different chats.

Too bad IRC clients can't enter Steam chats, or else I don't need to open steam and find our group chatroom everytime.