Has anyone gotten visible fire (ie env_fire) working?

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Obliterous

L1: Registered
Oct 15, 2009
Does anyone have a way to make visible fire?

env_fire is broken, as we all know.

I've seen maps with custom particles, but haven't figured out how to get them to work...

Is there a tutorial for custom particles? I can get the players to ignite via the IgnitePlayer trigger, but there's no visible indication...

Search does nothing for Me...

//rambling, still on first cup of coffee.

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
You cna decompile a map that uses the flames, like cp_egypt, and see how it's done. I might make a prefab later with the particle/light/hurt etc set up, a lot of people seem to ask this.

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
Well I've made a quick prefab Here for the egypt wall torch. It comes with the flame/hurt/light entities and the props.

Obliterous

Oct 15, 2009
Thanks J4CK8!

between your prefab, and some further research/trying that I've done (Dont you love it when asking a question causes you to figure it out yourself?), I've gotten env_fire working, and without custom particles.

To get the STOCK env_fire, we need to have fire_01.pcf in the manifest for the map.

EX:
For a map named test.bsp we need a text file names test_particles.txt that INCLUDES the following:

particles_manifest
{
"file""!particles/fire_01.pcf"
}

I've attached a file that includes the swamp theme particles as well. (because I'm building a swamp map)

The ONLY thing I haven't figured out how to do, yet, is make the fire ignitable by the pyro's flamethrower. :)

As soon as I clean it up, example map to follow. (now if I can only figure out how to use fscking pakrat)

Obliterous

Oct 15, 2009
You probably never will. The code is completely different stuff.

That's right. Crush my hopes and dreams. :p

Doesn't mean I wont stop trying. :)

And as soon as I run out of things to try, I'll drive down the road and protest outside their office with a sign that says `Fix pyro fire to trigger ent damage!'

Maybe I'll wear a pyro Halloween costume while I protest...:D

Obliterous

Oct 15, 2009
You could do it by damage, and have some sort of identification to see if its a pyro doing it... :S

I tried. :( flamethrower fire will not trigger ANY ent damage that I can find.:(

Anyway, I uploaded a test map with working env_fire and IgnitePlayer here.

Look for the logic set to show up in a Swamp themed map in the next week or two. :D

Obliterous

Oct 15, 2009
well, it's significant, to the map that I'm starting on, but hopefully VALVe will give us a fix before it risks being a show-stopper.

As it sits now, the ONLY weapon that I cannot get to trigger an ent with damage is the flamethrower. Time to get the pyro costume together. (at least Bellevue is a short drive) :D

Protest sign ideas:

`Pyro's are NOT second class'

`Fix the FIRE'

`repair or despair!'

`Fire is for Everything!'

Anyone else have sign ideas? (or know how to trigger on flamethrower damage?)