CTF Harvest

RedMser

L1: Registered
Sep 3, 2013
First Post on here, sorry if anything is wrong!

This is a conversion from the popular koth_harvest_final to be made into a CTF map. The whole map has been rebalanced to fit the gameplay of CTF.

If you find any bugs or suggestions of change, please let me know. I want as much feedback as possible!

Differences between KOTH and CTF version:
  • Barn in the middle is closed
  • Pickups have been changed or moved
  • There is a flag room at the very left corridor
  • Some paths have been changed

To-Do List:
  • Fix cubemaps to actually shine (problem)
  • Add mission briefing and mission photos (laziness)
  • Make changes through the feedback (waiting/difficult/compile times)
  • Remove truck and expand map to there for potential intelroom entry (difficult/compile times)

I have gotten permission from the creator of koth_harvest_final to create this map and upload it. Proof.

Last edited:

RedMser

Sep 3, 2013
Good enough for me.

Looks interesting. Where exactly is the flag now? The image provided and the description didn't specify and I don't have time to check myself.

The corridor to the left of the stairs going up to the sniper spot branches off to the flag room.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
One of the main issues I had with this is it was quite easy to get lost in the building, with the new room. Someone yelled at me for saying so, but I feel it's a legitimate concern.

Arrows towards the intelligence, and having the intel room being visually distinct from the rest of the building would really help this issue, I feel. I also found it very difficult to defend the intel as there was no nearby pickups (that I could find), the closest being the respawn locker itself, which is a giant hassle.

RedMser

Sep 3, 2013
Thanks for all the feedback. Because of it, I've updated the map to b3 with the following changes:

- Beams no longer make you stuck (added invisible walls)
- Intel room changed to be more distinct to the rest of the base
- Moved around a pickup in the intel room
- Made intelroom taller
- Added a lot more signs showing the intel's location
- Added another way into the intel room (through the top from the sniper spot)
- Added more areaportals in hope of making the map run faster on older computers
- Detailed a little here and there
- Changed the respawn times from 10 to 5

I will try to finish the things in the To-Do list aswell as upcoming critisism in the next build.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Those sound like problems that would cancel each other out, honestly.

Auwi

Certified in best in fun
aa
Dec 12, 2012
I really think you should use this building to hold your intel room:
aKh66zu.jpg

QVgxS6V.jpg

Its closer to spawn and I'm sure people would like it better than where it is now

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
That's not a bad idea. I didn't even remember that Harvest had two completely inaccessible buildings.

MegapiemanPHD

Doctorate in Deliciousness
aa
Mar 31, 2012
aKh66zu.jpg

QVgxS6V.jpg

Its closer to spawn and I'm sure people would like it better than where it is now

That would be interesting to see. Right now the flag feels a bit out of the way but I can understand why the mapper would want add it to the big building. Though if you move the flag to this location, I feel the big buildings would mostly become pointless and unused.

I would suggest editing the spawn building to be a much larger area for the flag and changing the closed building into your spawn room. Use the 2 closed doors as exits and add a 3rd exit out the back leading to the flag room.

RedMser

Sep 3, 2013
That would be interesting to see. Right now the flag feels a bit out of the way but I can understand why the mapper would want add it to the big building. Though if you move the flag to this location, I feel the big buildings would mostly become pointless and unused.

I would suggest editing the spawn building to be a much larger area for the flag and changing the closed building into your spawn room. Use the 2 closed doors as exits and add a 3rd exit out the back leading to the flag room.

That's actually a great idea! This was actually my reason for putting the flag there, it would've been too close to spawn and the other buildings just because useless otherwise, but this would solve the problem very well!

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
The problem with that is that you end up with the 2fort scenario where players have to go past the enemy spawn to get to the intel. Putting it in the unused building would already be pushing it; this would be worse.

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Those entrance spots are reasonably far apart from each other and leave ample room for a not-ridiculously-cramped intel basement. It could work!

DonutVikingChap

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 15, 2013
aKh66zu.jpg

QVgxS6V.jpg

I totally agree with this idea.

EDIT:

Or this:
maybe put the intel underground like in ctf_sawmill

one enterance could be here:
KOTH_Harvest_Side_shed.PNG

the second in that no-enterance door
Koth_harvest_eventhalls2.jpg

Last edited:

MegapiemanPHD

Doctorate in Deliciousness
aa
Mar 31, 2012
The problem with that is that you end up with the 2fort scenario where players have to go past the enemy spawn to get to the intel. Putting it in the unused building would already be pushing it; this would be worse.

I didn't think about that before. I don't think it would end up being as bad as 2fort but it would still be a issue.

maybe put the intel underground like in ctf_sawmill

one enterance could be here:
KOTH_Harvest_Side_shed.PNG

the second in that no-enterance door
Koth_harvest_eventhalls2.jpg

This makes allot of sense and fixes most of the issues.

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Come to think of it, the opportunity to use the unused building is almost too tempting; you may want to consider making it the second entrance instead of the little shack with the health pack in it. Or even having three; anything that tips the balance further away from defense is a good thing in this mode.