Handrails (Expansion Pack)

Model Handrails (Expansion Pack) 1.1

Gadget

aa
Mar 10, 2008
Gadget submitted a new resource:

Handrails (Expansion Pack) - Various derived variations of Valve's own handrail models from props_trainyard

• 19 modular, straight handrails
  • 24 modular handrails for stairs
  • 2 pole variations
Derived from (and compatible with) the handrail models from props_trainyard.

Recommended grid size for alignment in Hammer: 2

Set "Disable Self-Shadowing with vertex lighting" to "Yes" when using prop_static for best lighting.

Set "Collisions" to "Not solid" and use player clipping brushes.

Let me know if you need another specific variation.

For...

Read more about this resource...

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I remember someone did a smaller version of this years ago, but they were all rotated 90 degrees relative to the official ones (because of some weird quirk of how importing and/or exporting works) so I fired up Crowbar and fixed them myself. Anyway, Windows reported that 12 of your files have the same names as the ones I already had, and against my better judgment I said it was OK to replace them anyway. I loaded up a map I used them in, and everything looks the same so I dug a little deeper and this is what I've discovered:
  • You've done your due diligence in matching the angles on the straight railings, but your stair railings match the angle of the extra-long one (which is probably a custom job by some mapper; I don't even recognize it) rather than the original.
  • Both of you made versions of the 128-unit-long railing that has posts on both ends. They have different names, so that's not a problem. What's interesting is that theirs is exactly 128 units long while yours is a little longer, probably so the distance between posts matches the original; you've effectively replicated their work with your "124"-unit-long one. I appreciate this, because people definitely could use a railing that's just the right length to cap off a series of open-ended ones and make a long railing of exactly (128⋅n) length.
  • However, I think you made a mistake compiling the 64-unit series: both handrail60_full and handrail64 are exactly 64 units long and capped at both ends, instead of the latter being open-ended; and handrail60_full has an off-center origin like the open-ended ones do.
Personally I do not recommend renaming any of your props to accommodate people like me, but let this post be a warning to anyone who did download the other pack and wants to install these: check any maps you made that use those other railings! The fact that the old ones are rotated 90 degrees should make it obvious, at least.