Hamr Online - A map prototyping tool

Hamr Online - A map prototyping tool Alpha-Displacements

andonin

L2: Junior Member
Oct 1, 2011
Hamr Online - The in-browser mapping tool.

A project I've been working on for a while, and will likely continue to strip down and rebuild as I learn more and find better approaches.

This tool is an in browser map maker that allows you to draw room outlines and building blue prints then automatically generate geometry and entities. Currently an external program (not included) converts from the application file to a vmf.
Features I will eventually include:
  • Complete Geometry Generation
  • Objective Objects
  • Lighting Generation
  • Displacement Generation
  • Detail Generation
  • More procedural tools!
The version I'm releasing is a pre alpha of a new take on a previous working version and is therefor far from finished, if interest is shown I'll release the old version for people to play with.

nickybakes

You should've played Rumbleverse
aa
Jul 28, 2015
This is really neat! Can't wait to see more!

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015
One day i was thinking in hammer multiplayer, but i think its imposibble...

Coding Ethan

Oct 12, 2014
One day i was thinking in hammer multiplayer, but i think its imposibble...
As in a real-time collaborative hammer editor, that would be cool if implemented correctly.

andonin

Oct 1, 2011
As in a real-time collaborative hammer editor, that would be cool if implemented correctly.

Hmm. I had not considered that, I can think of a way to implement such a system, but that feature would be far off and I'd like to get a lot of other things working first. Potentially though yes, this system could allow for multiple users to edit the same level at once.

Coding Ethan

Oct 12, 2014
Hmm. I had not considered that, I can think of a way to implement such a system, but that feature would be far off and I'd like to get a lot of other things working first. Potentially though yes, this system could allow for multiple users to edit the same level at once.

When it comes to collaborative mapping, latency may become an issue, especially if both users change a single object simultaneously, I don't know how to resolve this except for a simple "X is modifying this object" which may not work in high latency situations.

Collaboration without communication would spell disaster, a simple chat box would resolve the issue partially, however users would be able to use third-party group communication software available on most devices to enrich their collaborative experiences.

andonin

Oct 1, 2011
  • Wall Geometry has been updated to a different cutting system that will produce cleaner geometry and reduce my stress levels
  • Saving and Loading now supported for main types, may be buggy

Read the rest of this update entry...

andonin

Oct 1, 2011
When it comes to collaborative mapping, latency may become an issue, especially if both users change a single object simultaneously, I don't know how to resolve this except for a simple "X is modifying this object" which may not work in high latency situations.

Just have 1 client (or a server) be the master, upon which others submit edits. As all editor items are organized in a hierarchy, it's fairly simple to maintain consistency. Deletions of items high in the hierarchy might be restricted to the master, as to prevent egregious reference errors

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
That is really interesting and amazing.

Also I think I'm not taking "and will continue to strip down" correct.

andonin

Oct 1, 2011
  • Door/Window Frames are now calculated and exported
  • Fixed issue with windows not calculating correctly
  • Moved rooms and door/windows to building object
    editor_beta_output.png
    hammer_beta_output.png

Read the rest of this update entry...

RataDeOrdenador

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 12, 2015
I think that's generating some extra/random faces? I think? I'm getting so rusty with Hammer i need help.

But it looks really awesome. I think this is the dream for any group of mappers... and stuff. \o/

andonin

Oct 1, 2011
I think that's generating some extra/random faces? I think? I'm getting so rusty with Hammer i need help.

But it looks really awesome. I think this is the dream for any group of mappers... and stuff. \o/
it currently generates only trianglular prism shaped blocks for non wall geometry. This will be addressed in the next update as I port more of my code from golang to js. If its generating redundant or invalid faces feel free to let me know, perhaps send me a save file .