Hammer wont start..

MaGicBush

L2: Junior Member
Jun 9, 2009
I am getting a weird error when trying to start Hammer all of the sudden:

attachment.php

I tried rebooting and restarting Steam, first the weird camera issue now this :(. I just want to finish the first alpha on my map, sigh.

MaGicBush

Jun 9, 2009
Well dunno what is going on, but it randomly started working again. However now TF2 says "Game is unavailable, please try again later." And keeps popping up a error saying it needs to download the game files as it found a problem. Gonna back up my maps before Steam explodes :p.

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
Well dunno what is going on, but it randomly started working again. However now TF2 says "Game is unavailable, please try again later." And keeps popping up a error saying it needs to download the game files as it found a problem. Gonna back up my maps before Steam explodes :p.

If that's the case, backup your files and reinstall (or delete cache and load up again). It's because TF2 recently updated and Source SDK dosn't update with the new files, so it tries to use the old files (which are gone).

MaGicBush

Jun 9, 2009
well backed up my files, and uninstalled TF2/Hammer. But now it wont download the game or Hammer, just sits at "Download Starting." Are the content servers down?

*edit*

Checked the steam forums and it's a big problem right now I guess, new patch muffed up TF2. Best fix if anyone else gets this problem is to change the download server region according to others, though I have tried several and none work :(.

Last edited:

TracerDX

L3: Member
Jun 9, 2009
It says pretty plainly in the error message that he couldn't connect to steam servers. So probably, couldn't validate. Slash and burn techniques may fix most issues, but it isn't always needed.