Hammer without steam?

Laz

L420: High Member
Jul 5, 2008
Got a bit of small problem. Normally I get a litle bugfixing done on my maps during my lunchbreak. Only now... my steam won't start anymore in offline mode.
Is there a way to start hammer without having to start up steam?

thanks.

Aug 19, 2008
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\USERNAME\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\hammer.exe

try executing the exe manually, works on my laptop :)
though i cant compile... but that might be my laptop....
anyhow...
good luck

Last edited:

Apom

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 14, 2008
I had the same problem as you some time ago. AFAIK, you can't start Hammer without Steam, but you can shut down Steam once it's launched and it will keep working. Don't try to compile though.

gottimw

L1: Registered
Jul 4, 2008
I had this befor and i worked it out you have to run all games in online mode (or just the one that you gonna map for, but i never checked it) and then run sdk. After that go to offline mode. Next time when you will run sdk in offline mode it should be fine.
It has something to do with updates that bust be "initialised" after downloading or something like that (STEAM is very picky if you try to cheat it somehow)
It worked for me twice and since then i dont have a problem, pls try it and reply the results

Laz

L420: High Member
Jul 5, 2008
I started up sdk and hammer last night at home, put my computer in sleep.
worked just up untilnow, it wouldnt open any models or textures, and crashed. can't start it again... grmbl.... I got a big list of bugfixes to work through ...