"Hammer Units"

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisamundo

L2: Junior Member
Apr 2, 2018
I've noticed that hammer units for me are WAY bigger than what I've seen in Crash's tutorial. Can I change this? Or at least tell me why this is?

Mess About

L7: Fancy Member
Jan 16, 2017
you mean grid? are your brushes locked on 64hu?

there's two "net" looking buttons right above the "camera", which increase or decrease your grid

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
Don't mess about clicking those every time though, you can use ] and [ to increase and decrease the grid size.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
You can see your current grid size in the bottom right of Hammer:
upload_2018-4-7_9-51-15.png
This represents the current number of Hammer Units (HU) between each gridline in the 2D viewports. Until you start detailing, it's recommended to keep your grid size between 64 and 16 HU (I prefer 16), and then make it smaller for finer placement during detailing.

You can also zoom in and out on the 2D viewports by scrolling on your mouse scrollwheel. Holding CTRL while scrolling will zoom all 2D viewports at the same time.

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
Keep in mind that you can use Shift-W to toggle Snapping. Disabling it will align your editing to 1hu regardless of the current grid size, and its currect status is shown as "Snap: On/Off" in the place Da Spud Lord showed you.
Also, the [ and ] function is doubled by Alt-A and Alt-S - some people find it more convenient as you don't have to move either of your arms very far.

chrisamundo

Apr 2, 2018
I don't need any more info, guys!

chrisamundo

Apr 2, 2018
nice attitude you got there
Words don't really have an expression, so I'm not exactly sure how you got an "attitude" out of that...

Also, is there a way that I can delete this thread?

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Please don't.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Yea, no need to delete the thread. Plus, if someone has a similar question, they might find this thread while searching for an answer, and it might answer their question.

Mar 23, 2013
I don't need any more info, guys!

If what was said is news to you, then this info isn't unecessary. Otherwise you might have a harder time mapping or run into compile issues again. Spud Lord's advice is VERY important. When working on layout you should definitely use a bigger grid size, and use a small grid size for detailing. If you don't know about that you will run into a lot of beginner issues later.
Also there is no need to delete or lock a thread. What if someone else googles the same question, then he might find the answer thanks to your thread or could reply if there is something important to add.
EDIT: aw got ninja'd

chrisamundo

Apr 2, 2018
If what was said is news to you, then this info isn't unecessary. Otherwise you might have a harder time mapping or run into compile issues again. Spud Lord's advice is VERY important. When working on layout you should definitely use a bigger grid size, and use a small grid size for detailing. If you don't know about that you will run into a lot of beginner issues later.
Also there is no need to delete or lock a thread. What if someone else googles the same question, then he might find the answer thanks to your thread or could reply if there is something important to add.
EDIT: aw got ninja'd
All I said was that I didn't need more info. I asked a question, and got an answer. Is that not enough?
Also, the chances of someone having the same question, is really low.
I want to just lock the thread, so if someone DOES have the same question, they can still see the answers.
Oh yeah, Spud's advice was just common sense, but still useful.
If what was said is news to you,
It wasn't.
aw got ninja'd
WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
In my eyes some dude accused OP of having an attitude and then they tried to defend themselves. I don't see the need for all of the Respectfully Disagree ratings.

chrisamundo

Apr 2, 2018
In my eyes some dude accused OP of having an attitude and then they tried to defend themselves. I don't see the need for all of the Respectfully Disagree ratings.
Finally someone understands!

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
There is a very high chance someone will run into the same problem as you. More information is never a bad thing to have in a thread, so there's no reason to tell people to stop giving it to you. You can ignore it if you don't want it, but maybe consider that it might be useful to you even though it's not the main thing you came in for?

Thread locked, hi future readers of this cluster! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.