Hammer Problem

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by TMB, Jul 21, 2016.

1. TMB

TMB Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Emm, i have a problem with hammer, when im using the program sometime close automatically, without reason, especially when i close a map, its imposible to work if the progam close everytime...

(BTW, im not doing nothing expecial or strange when the program close... and yes i tried to verify my TF2 archives)

2. Yrr

aa Yrr An Actual Deer

Positive Ratings:
    hammer just crashes sometimes, try to save your progress often so you don't lose much

3. Simulacron

Simulacron L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    If I have many crashes in a small amount of time I restart my computer. This somehow helps to reduce the amount of crashes, but I don't know if this works for everybody.

4. TMB

TMB Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Im having too many craches, can crash in 1 minute...

5. Egan

aa Egan

Positive Ratings:
    It could be that your system is running out of memory. If you press Ctrl + Shift + Esc, and go to the Performance tab, what is the number under Physical Memory (MB) Total: ? If you divide this number by 1000 it will say how many GB of ram your machine has. Optimally you have 4 GB+ of ram in 2016 for level design.

I have had hammer crash more frequently when I use unstable .vmfs that are jampacked with content/entities in a small space.

6. TMB

TMB Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Emmm, well, i have enough memory ram (32GB) so i dont think thats the problem, btw i restarted my computer and still the problem...

7. RataDeOrdenador

RataDeOrdenador L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well I barely have 2GB of ram. And it goes just fine. yay?

8. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    Well, it can also be the map. I remember Crash's stream with the 72 hours contest (winter 2015 one, I think), at the end of the stream his map crashed Hammer every single minute as well. He had a huge-ass map with lots of entities.

And yeah, Hammer's random. It can crash whenever it feels like it, and there's nothing you can really do about it. Save often (like, after every change or something) so you don't lose progress.

9. MaccyF

aa MaccyF Notoriously Unreliable

Positive Ratings:
    might be worth saving the file as a different name, that's helped for me in the past. God knows why.

10. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    32 GB is a little too good to be true.

11. Coding Ethan

Coding Ethan L69: Deviant Member

Positive Ratings:
    It depends on the OS edition (16GB limit on W7 Home Premium)