Hammer Problem

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by TMB, May 29, 2016.

1. TMB

TMB Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Ye, antoher post of help... anyways, i have a problem with hammer, when im mapping sometime the program close without any reason and without save, anyone know why this happend?

2. sooshey

aa sooshey :3c

Positive Ratings:
    Whatever you do right before it closes, stop doing that. Hammer crashes for a lot of reasons.

3. TMB

TMB Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Emm, i dont do anything in special, im for example putting a model or a texture and BAM, crash! :/

4. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
  5. Turnip

aa Turnip The 80s Vegetable

Positive Ratings:
    Sometimes its not a crash, sometimes the program freezes for a little bit, so give it a few min and come back, if its still says (not repsonding) then its crashed.

6. TMB

TMB Banned

Positive Ratings:
    It not crash really, just the program close without any advice or something...

7. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    That's called a crash. Not all crashes are created equal.

8. Turnip

aa Turnip The 80s Vegetable

Positive Ratings:
    @Crash

9. Requiesta

Requiesta L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hammer is a woefully unstable development tool and I don't think the devs ever bothered to patch it to a semi-reasonable level. When you map with hammer you kinda have to accept that it will crash often, it will crash for nearly inexplicable reasons, it will crash if you don't do anything in it for 10 minutes because it decides it's bored, and it will act like it's crashed in the middle of a map compile in such a way that you just have to wait and hope that it hasn't.

Save often and pray that one of these alternative mapping softwares that are cropping up will provide a more stable platform.

10. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    If it ever helps, I've discovered one of reasons Hammer crashes.
    When you use a mode that allows you to edit things from 3D viewport (toggled on X), if you click on a side of selection from inside and behind it (in place where your mouse are) there is void, Hammer will crash. I resolved that problem by not using the X mode unless it's needed.
    Doubt it helps, just remember anyone who reads this.
    Actually I can quote @Requiesta, hammer is woefully unstable.