Hammer on internet

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Captain Planet, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Captain Planet

Captain Planet L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Guys, i was thinking if its possible to make a Hammer editor on the internet.
    Like its just a flash game orso, for at work, school etc :)
    And that you can just create a account and can save and download files from it.

If someone could make this i would thank him a thousand times (and that is a lot of accounts to create:p D:)

2. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
  3. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    whooooa that would be epic, on epic proportions!!:woot:

4. Zeewier

Zeewier L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Would be epic indeed,
    but it should only be something without all materials and models, because that would be like 3gb...

5. l3eeron

l3eeron L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Ya that would be insanely awesome...

considering my laptop at work can barely run hammer with all the setting lowest possible (unless I turn off the 3d view)

6. Forthex

Forthex L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I don't know. While I do like and use a lot online apps, I think because of the intense 3D nature of designing a map in Hammer, it's best suited to run locally. I mean, the only internet technologies that could even possibly handle 3D, like flash or shockwave, would lag horribly and be super slow.

However, the pick-up-and-go qualities of online apps I absolutely love. So in the distant future, if this is possible OMG DO IT.

7. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    Paauuuullllll

8. Captain Planet

Captain Planet L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    like that, but than hammer.

9. Galago

Galago L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I doubt if this would be possible.

10. Blindfate

Blindfate L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    That'd be a pain in the butt, especially if you were doing it without the Hammer source code.

11. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    Well, a VMF is just a text document with a bunch of clauses... so in theory you probably could make something to do that in flash, but it'd be a huge project and a pain to make a 3d view. And a huge project. And a pain.

12. Artesia

Artesia L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    why not just run a remote desktop? I've never done it myself but I had a friend who could log onto a website, type in his password or other security info, and in the browser appeared a realtime view of his home desktop, he could operate anything on his home pc using the pc hardware and what was sent were streaming screens from his home pc, it was a little slower but wasn't too bad... I'm not sure how it handles hotkeys but I'd be fine to use just a mouse if I could run things from school :p

13. Earl

Earl L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    The simple fact of needing GB's worth of texture data makes this whole idea unfeasible. 3D would be possible, however. The latest version of FlashPlayer is pretty powerful.

14. Blindfate

Blindfate L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I think if someone were going to make something liek that, I'd rather have an editor that does things mostly in the 3D view.