hammer freezes when i compile

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by toddball, Jul 1, 2016.

1. toddball

toddball L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    every time i try to compile, hammer freezes :( is there a setting i need to change

2. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    It is absolutely normal. You can write an own bat file or use external compilation handlers like compilepal, but after compile is over, hammer is usable again. Anyway, why change the VMF if compile software is using it to make the bsp?

3. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    To elaborate, Hammer's default compiler still works in the background even when it's frozen - you just have to give it time to finish. CompilePal is a wrapper that uses the same compile tools but allows you to continue using Hammer while it's working.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. Crowbar

Positive Ratings:
    IIRC cpal also grants instant access to the log, which the Hammer's frozen window obviously can't.
    It automatically packs custom stuff you put there (beloved feature), handles multiple configs well, has a friendly interface... extremely useful thing for, say, version compiles after changes are done. I and a lot of members would recommend it.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. toddball

toddball L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    thanks everyone!!

6. Narpas

aa Narpas Failing at Scaling

Positive Ratings:
    Compiling takes a lot of CPU, so improving your CPU could help, although that would probably be going a bit overboard. Optimizing your map will also help, especially if Hammer takes a long time to compile VVIS. A great tutorial for optimization can be found here: http://www.optimization.interlopers.net/ Keep in mind that a lot of this is unimportant until you get into beta; the most important thing is to remember to use func_detail wherever necessary. Here is the wiki page for func_detail: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Func_detail

7. Crowbar

Positive Ratings:
    Compile times depend on RAM very much as well.

EDIT: proved wrong!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  8. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    No it doesn't. The compile processes physically can't even use more than 4gb and they barely touch that except for sometimes VRAD.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Oatmeal

Oatmeal L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Just go to expert view and add -low as parameter to vvis and rad

10. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    I always use the -threads parameter set to 7 (quad-core CPU+hyperthreading so 8 threads of which I use 7) on VVIS and VRAD. Of course, because Source, instead of fully utilizing 7 cores it just drops to 88% usage on all cores, but it still leaves enough CPU time free for you to do other stuff.

11. Crowbar

Positive Ratings:
    Whoa. I seem to have read VERY old tutorials/docs, from the times not having 4gb was much more of a common thing.

12. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    Hammer/Source is 32-bit. You can't allocate memory space when you don't have the bits for it.

• Agree Agree x 1