Hammer Emoticons and a KotH poll!

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by A Boojum Snark, Aug 19, 2009.

?

How many minutes for KotH maps? (gameday and normal)

1. 15

16.8%
  2. 20

49.5%
  3. 25

10.3%
  4. 30

23.4%
  1. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Greetings, fellow denizens of the world forging realm, I have some mid-week news and an inquiry.

Firstly, giving and receiving help concerning Hammer functions has now been made easier by the addition of Hammer tool and option emoticons. You'll find a few listed on the new post page to remind you they now exist, and can find the full assortment by clicking on More.

:ig: :dispwalk: :vertextool:

Secondly, with the arrival of KotH I find this mode may be in need of it's own map duration limit. It drags on a little long with a full half hour, but I don't feel 15 minutes does it good, so I pose the question to you: how much time do you feel they should get? This will apply to both gamedays and (when I get to it) normal server hours when KotH is chosen to be played.
    Keep in mind that the map will switch to the next one if the round ends with less than 5 minutes remaining on the server time limit!

P.S. Some of you may be amused by the numbering convention I used for the icons ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 14
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  2. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    :carve: :eek:hmy:D::sneaky2::mad::mad::mad::angry::angry: :thumbdown::thumbdown: :facepalm::facepalm:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    TESTING!

:dispmask::cordonedit::texlock::faceedittool::dispcollapse::brushtool::dispwalk::entityool::disp3d::cameratool::ungroup::rendernodraw::group::detailsprites::vertextool::clippingtool::autoselect::carve::selectbyhandles::savewinstate::applytexture::compile::cordonenable::loadwinstate::helpers::decaltool::2dmodels::overlaytool::modelfade::cm::texlockscale::selectiontool::texalign::zoomtool::grid::ig::grid3d::selectedtovis::gridsmaller::unselecttovis::gridbigger:

4. AntonJ3000

AntonJ3000 I am inactive and make horrible maps

Positive Ratings:
    :carve::carve::carve::carve::carve: ALL THE WAY!!
    :clippingtool: IS A TRAP

And Koth should have 15mins imo, As it's like an arena map.

5. Fearlezz

Fearlezz L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hey, carving is really good when you use it on simple brushes. Nice with the icons tho :)

6. AntonJ3000

AntonJ3000 I am inactive and make horrible maps

Positive Ratings:
    BAN!!!... Carve is evil :(

Also, can you use "Go :carve: yourself!" As an insult?

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  7. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Carve was incredibly helpful in HL1 due to how doors and details were constructed (ie brushwork) it could cut your production time in half. But there's little use for it in HL2.

Carve is a tool and like all tools works perfectly fine given that you use it appropriately and with care. Regardless, i have never really found a scenario where at has been useful for source mapping.

8. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    So is vertex edit and clip =)

that is pure win.

9. A Boojum Snark

Positive Ratings:
    Great now we have a carve discussion, never should've pointed that out :p I was hoping for a little discourse on koth times.

10. Dr. ROCKZO

Dr. ROCKZO L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    20 minutes would be fine.. Yo'd probably get 3 rounds in a session? Loving the new Icons too.

11. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    20 minutes is fine. After that it becomes kinda stale.

12. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
  13. Shmitz

aa Shmitz Old Hat

Positive Ratings:
    I said this in chat: Carve isn't evil, just (grossly) misunderstood.

You mean Hammer's "no undos" vertex edit and "I can only do two-point planes" clip? ¬_¬

14. Owlruler

Owlruler L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I agree with everyone else, 20 minutes is fine but I think 25/30mins should be considered for ones nearing final/RC.

15. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    Cool! Much handier than trying to describe them.

_______

:entityool:!

Another idea for a future forum-modding feature... If you prefix a Valve Developer Community wiki item with "VDC" and have it automagically link it...

So:

VDC:trigger_multiple

Could become:

16. A Boojum Snark

Positive Ratings:
    I once proposed that idea once, I believe it was either shot down or it was technical trouble... or something.

17. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, absolutely. I think the regular time should be 20 min, but you should be able to ask for an extension to 30 min for nearly finished maps, like you can extend "regular" maps to 45 min or something.

18. Wegason

Wegason L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    20 minutes top for me, the game mode and map becomes stale after that length of time, you get a min of 3 rounds in if its 20 minutes long.

19. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    I remember it as someone else proposing it and you shooting it down as unnecessary... I might be mistaken though.

Either way it would be a good feature. env_cubemaps would save a lot of time. And I don't think it would be too hard, if vB custom bbCode support is anything like phpBB3's.

20. A Boojum Snark

Positive Ratings:
    Apparently it was niether... the thread just... died. [ame="http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=4714"]Custom BB code? - TF2Maps.net Forums[/ame]