Hammer crashes when running my map?!

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Hinur, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Hinur

Hinur L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hey guys, wondering if anyone can help. When I click the run map button (f9) it crashes on me. I've got an image before it stops responding...

[​IMG]

can anyone help?

2. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    When you say "crashed", do you mean "stops responding"? Hammer tends to do that when compiling large and/or complex maps, but it doesn't mean it's stopped working. You just gotta leave it alone to do its thing.

3. Hinur

Positive Ratings:
    ok, thanks

4. Hinur

Positive Ratings:
  5. Nicky

aa Nicky Lets try something new!

Positive Ratings:
    Mka esure you are func_detail-ing properly, as it will decrese the amount of visleafs you have, and large amounts can cause compile times to take, like your saying, 2 hours or even longer.
    Here is a good tutorial about BASIC optimization (there is another that goes more in-depth, but this is what you need for your problem):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIy0Usc8zXU

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. RataDeOrdenador

RataDeOrdenador L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
  7. Hinur

Positive Ratings:
    thanks, its working now :)

8. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    Except all CompilePal does is add a GUI to the compile process. It still uses the same VBSP, VVIS and VRAD executables Hammer uses when pressing F9 in Hammer. If you want to do stuff while compiling, add a -thread *insert how many threads you want the compiler to be using, so if you have a quad-core with hyperthreading you put 7 here* option to the VVIS and VRAD's compile stages. You can leave it off of VBSP, as it doesn't take long to do its work.