Hammer crashes when loading any map

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by soylent robot, Aug 26, 2012.

1. soylent robot

soylent robot L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    As the title, opening any map in Hammer makes it crash with no error messages. It just closes itself when the Postload Processing box gets to 33%
    what should I do to fix this?

2. Popo

Popo L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    When you launch the Source SDK, go 'Reset Game Configurations'. That fixed it for me.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. soylent robot

soylent robot L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    that worked! thanks very much ^^

4. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    So you know, it was a problem with Boojum's Resource Pack. You'll have to get the updated version if you want to keep using it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    what do you mean?

I have the OP's problem... tried the "reset game configs" suggestion. didnt work.

hammer just crashes when I try to open any map. I do think I have boojums resource pack however... isnt that just a map file with the library laid out? how can that cause hammer to crash?

where is the updated pack? i will update it anyway see it helps.

6. Jetti

Jetti L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    *sigh*

People download things these days without even knowing what they are...

The Resource Pack reskins a lot of the entities in hammer to be more easy to use, for example info_player_teamspawns and a lot of the gameplay entities. It also provides prefabs to make some tedious parts of mapping easier, such as doors and path_tracks. Indeed, it does also provide the gametype and prop libraries. The updated version can be found here.

-> Reset Game Configs = Source SDK -> 'Refresh SDK content' + 'Reset Game Configurations'.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. Boylee

aa Boylee pew pew pew

Positive Ratings:
    To be fair, I don't think most people know the full extent of ABS's resource pack when they first install it, and it's pretty hard to do so unless you both read the full changelog and have a decent understanding of how the SDK works. For example it actually does a lot more than just re-skin entities, it also edits a fair few entity properties via the fgd file so that flags and parameters that are available, but hidden by default, become usable in hammer. I'm willing to bet that it was fgd edits that were causing hammer to crash.

Just sayin'. :p

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Jeremy

Jeremy L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    You don't have to "Refresh SDK Content", which is good because it takes a buggeringly long time. You just have to reset the configs and redownload the resource pack.

9. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    You don't have to yes, but you will lose out on the new example map if you don't.