Hammer can't find custom sounds

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Gabe Noodle from Volvo, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Gabe Noodle from Volvo

Gabe Noodle from Volvo L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm trying to add a custom wave file to an ambient_generic, but hammer can't find it.

2. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    Do you mean Hammer isn't packing it or it doesn't see it? All sounds must be put in the sound folder in the tf directory.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Gabe Noodle from Volvo

Positive Ratings:
    I mean hammer isn't packing it, as in the sound plays in the editor but not in game.

4. Requiesta

Requiesta L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    That's because hammer doesn't automatically pack in custom sound files when it compiles the .bsp you have to pack it in with another program. Packrat is a favorite if I remember correctly, though I've been using Map Analyst for my own maps for a while due to how easy it is.

5. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    CompilePal is the gold standard. Compiles any source engine map, allows you to mess with compile parameters, and will automatically pack your stuff.

6. Gabe Noodle from Volvo

Positive Ratings:
    I have already packed the sound file, but it still doesn't show up in game. And yes, i've set the outputs up correctly.

7. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    I had this problem a while back; you need to manually wipe your sound cache. I didn't think to ask whether this was a client-side issue that will continue to affect all of your users though...

8. Requiesta

Requiesta L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Try opening your compiled map with gfcscape to make sure the sounds are in there. Perhaps your packing software glitched.

9. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    WHy do so many people suggest packing the soundfile? Isn't he saying that the file isn't playing for HIM instead for others? When the file is in the local sound folder it should work. Like Pocket said, delete your sound cache files. Alternativly you can try storing the sound in custom/derp/sounds or even save it as a VPK. That once fixed client mods that include sounds for me.