Hammer broke again

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Pocket, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    And this time there wasn't even an SDK "update" involved. It just sorta randomly happened.

I can no longer load up a map with any real substance in it and still navigate around the 3D view with any sort of precision. Holding down W jumps me forward at about 1fps, and slowly tapping it for finer control doesn't cause any movement at all.

2. Kill_the_Bug

Kill_the_Bug L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    my steam is completely screwed up since last update - I no longer have a games library even after a complete reinstall.

3. AgeNt_

AgeNt_ L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    this seems like a problem on your end. hammer is working fine for me. any recent updates to the OS recently? i found those can break things real nice.

4. gamemaster1996

gamemaster1996 L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    What was the patch today? I'd check but the log tells me nothing.

5. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah I was wondering that too. I wish they would put notes up like every game does.

6. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    I was afraid it might be that... but it looks like the last update was two days before the last time I remember being able to use Hammer properly. So it's not that.

7. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    OK, I have determined a few things: First, telling the SDK launcher to refresh the SDK content and reset the game configurations doesn't fix the problem. Secondly, this seems to only happen with TF2 maps. I can literally launch the TF2 version of Hammer and load up a decompiled Half-Life 2 map, and it'll be fine. It's almost as if there's something about TF2 maps in particular that cause performance issues. But that's crazy, right?

8. gamemaster1996

gamemaster1996 L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    Not completely I think TF2 has always been more demanding than HL2 maybe thats why.

9. AgeNt_

AgeNt_ L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    my laptop is starting to have this problem aswell now. But it starts to do that after a while. It gets to like a low fps then freezes for a second and they its back to normal.

10. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Well, for whatever reason, everything's back to normal. The gremlins must have gotten bored.