Hammer broke again

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
And this time there wasn't even an SDK "update" involved. It just sorta randomly happened.

I can no longer load up a map with any real substance in it and still navigate around the 3D view with any sort of precision. Holding down W jumps me forward at about 1fps, and slowly tapping it for finer control doesn't cause any movement at all.

Oct 6, 2008
my steam is completely screwed up since last update - I no longer have a games library even after a complete reinstall.

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
What was the patch today? I'd check but the log tells me nothing.

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
this seems like a problem on your end. hammer is working fine for me. any recent updates to the OS recently? i found those can break things real nice.

I was afraid it might be that... but it looks like the last update was two days before the last time I remember being able to use Hammer properly. So it's not that.

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
OK, I have determined a few things: First, telling the SDK launcher to refresh the SDK content and reset the game configurations doesn't fix the problem. Secondly, this seems to only happen with TF2 maps. I can literally launch the TF2 version of Hammer and load up a decompiled Half-Life 2 map, and it'll be fine. It's almost as if there's something about TF2 maps in particular that cause performance issues. But that's crazy, right?

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
But that's crazy, right?

Not completely I think TF2 has always been more demanding than HL2 maybe thats why.

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Well, for whatever reason, everything's back to normal. The gremlins must have gotten bored.