Hammer & 64bit Windows7

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

bakentake

L1: Registered
Mar 17, 2009
I've filled out support for this and they just told me to look on their forums. I was hoping somebody here has ran into this problem before.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=907575

The topic I made there. Hopefully I can get a faster reply here. Or atleast some suggestions on how I could change where its looking. I've already reinstalled the SDK, and looked around in the files but I couldn't find anything.

Maybe somebody here can/has ran into this problem.

Thanks.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Open up Hammer and go to Tools > Options where you will be able to set where Gameinfo.txt is located. :)

bakentake

Mar 17, 2009
Well I can open up the Source SDK which lets you launch hammer; but when I try to launch hammer I get the error.

Source SDK being the window that has

Applications
Hammer Editor
Model Viewer
Face Poser
Documentation
Release notes
SDK Reference Docs

Etc.

Is there another way to launch hammer?

MaGicBush

L2: Junior Member
Jun 9, 2009
Make sure you run TF2 once before trying to use Hammer, I had a similar problem when I first installed(also running Vista Ultimate 64bit). I have everything installed in the default x86 directory and have had no other issues really(other than the last update). Make sure you turn off DEP and UAC as well, they just cause issues and don't help much with security honestly.

Also you didn't download as a bit torrent right? This seems to be a common issue for those who downloaded HL2(google search brought up a lot)..

*edit*

Just realized the 7 at the end of Windows on your subject lol, so DEP and UAC may not apply(have not used Windows7 yet, and havn't had the training at work yet).

Last edited:

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
I'm tnot to sure the problem sadly, however i too use Win7 64Bit and have no problems =(

bakentake

Mar 17, 2009
Well I downloaded steam, then copied all my old game files into the steam folder on the new computer, but after reinstalling Source SDK I can't imagine its because of a setting leftover from the old computer.

Error Message said:
Setup file 'gameinfo.txt' doesn't exist in subdirectory 'c:/program files/steam/steamapps/(usrname)/team fortress 2/tf'. Check your -game parameter or VCONFIG setting.

What is the "-game parameter" and "VCONFIG"? I'm assuming theres a text file somewhere in the SDK that tells it where to look for the game info.txt

I only reinstalled Source SDK, not the Base or Base - Orange Box. What relation do they have as far as hammer goes? I suppose they could be directing it to the wrong program files folder.

MaGicBush

Jun 9, 2009
Well I downloaded steam, then copied all my old game files into the steam folder on the new computer, but after reinstalling Source SDK I can't imagine its because of a setting leftover from the old computer.

What is the "-game parameter" and "VCONFIG"? I'm assuming theres a text file somewhere in the SDK that tells it where to look for the game info.txt

I only reinstalled Source SDK, not the Base or Base - Orange Box. What relation do they have as far as hammer goes? I suppose they could be directing it to the wrong program files folder.

Aye, most likely culprit. Plus you have registry keys, etc that don't get put in if you just copy/paste files over. You just need to delete(keep saved game files), and redownload/install TF2 and maybe the Source SDK as well if you copied that. Steam most likely is detecting those versions are old, and cannot update them without the correct registry/file sizes/etc.

Warchamp7

Apr 4, 2009
I had this program when I moved Steam from my C drive to my D drive. I forget exactly how I fixed it.

Have you tried "Refresh SDK Content"? Also try "Edit Game Configurations", select Team Fortress 2 and click Edit. Check if the directory is correct there.

Last edited:

bakentake

Mar 17, 2009
Soo, just had to edit game config :p

I still get the pop up

Warning
The configuration information for the game you're trying to edit is invalid or missing.

then I just click run anyway and hammer launches. Hopefully no more problems.

No longer getting that popup.

Last edited: