Half Life 3 code found within Portal 2 SDK

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
Oh boy, Valve dun goof'd

References to a 'Combine Advisor NPC' have sprung up in the Portal 2 SDK beta.

Portal 2 is now open to modders with new beta mod tools hitting Steam yesterday, enabling gamers to create their own take on Aperture test-chambers.

Sleuthing modders have found code related to an entity named "npc_combine_advisor_roaming" which could be a link to the Half-Life aggressors.

“Code lines include references to shooting, targeting and use of shields”

Code lines include references to shooting, targeting, use of shields and something called an "avalanche blast" and "spit attack".

There are also mentions of "BaseHelicopter" and "rotor sounds".

The code appears not to be a hangover from previous Half-Life games, with virtually no mention online of the "combine advisor".

If the code was left over from another recent build of the Source engine, it could feassibly point at the existence of the next Half-Life game.

It's not the first time mod tool code has hinted at a new Half-Life title - last year the Alien Swarm SDK made reference to 'Blob Brain' and 'Aperture Nest'.

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/5791/half-life-3-code-found-in-portal-2-mod-tools

Thoughts?

Bakscratch

Finisher of Maps
aa
Oct 29, 2010
296080802.jpg

could this be something?

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Why not? Besides the fact that their telekinetic powers seem to/would render you and your weapons useless like at the end of Ep 2.

The advisor has been around since HL2, it's the monster that kills Eli and which Dr Breen is seen talking to at the beginning and end of HL2.

This is no big news.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
Why not? Besides the fact that their telekinetic powers seem to/would render you and your weapons useless like at the end of Ep 2.

Leaving aside, why are they NOT doing this psy-stun-stuff, i really prefer the feeling of them as silent, deadly rulers of earth, only entering the field when they cannot trust their operatives to do the job for them.

Put it this way? Striders. When you first see the striders, at the start of half-life 2, down a street as you pass, they were massive and imposing. Later on in the game, you're swatting them like bugs, and they arent impressive any more. Get someone to play the first meeting with a strider, then tell them that the end of episode 1 is killing one of them, and its an ANTICLIMAX. While it makes the player feel powerful, i much prefer not feeling omnipotent- its almost dissapointing, like victory is only ever a matter of time and rockets.

Like that. Shattering the farmhouse? Impressive. Psy-blasting alyx's brain out? Impressive. Killing Eli by breaking through the wall of a hangar? Impressive. Waiting at the end of a long string of combine to use three different attacks on you, before dying to enough damage? Not impressive.

I do trust valve not to serve us with a circle-strafe fight, but the advisors had so much menace that defeating one wouldnt be as impressive, for me. setting up a warp to blast them all to the abyss i could live with, but not cover, rockets, and so forth.

EDIT: Other things that were impressive until i shot them: Saren, Harbinger, the Special Infected, Hunters, the Ninja Assassin women from HL1

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2010
There's a reason why they cut it out of the game, it obviously did not work well. I really wish people would stop trying to postulate what the end of Ep3 will be, I doubt it will be anything we expect.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009