Half Life 3 code found within Portal 2 SDK

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Micnax, May 12, 2011.

1. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Oh boy, Valve dun goof'd

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/5791/half-life-3-code-found-in-portal-2-mod-tools

Thoughts?

2. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
  3. Bakscratch

aa Bakscratch Finisher of Maps

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]
    could this be something?

4. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    oh, god, i hope this doesnt mean what i think. The Advisors were better as an abstract threat: i doubt very much they'd work as a straight-up boss fight.

5. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Why not? Besides the fact that their telekinetic powers seem to/would render you and your weapons useless like at the end of Ep 2.

The advisor has been around since HL2, it's the monster that kills Eli and which Dr Breen is seen talking to at the beginning and end of HL2.

This is no big news.

6. LeSwordfish

Positive Ratings:
    Leaving aside, why are they NOT doing this psy-stun-stuff, i really prefer the feeling of them as silent, deadly rulers of earth, only entering the field when they cannot trust their operatives to do the job for them.

Put it this way? Striders. When you first see the striders, at the start of half-life 2, down a street as you pass, they were massive and imposing. Later on in the game, you're swatting them like bugs, and they arent impressive any more. Get someone to play the first meeting with a strider, then tell them that the end of episode 1 is killing one of them, and its an ANTICLIMAX. While it makes the player feel powerful, i much prefer not feeling omnipotent- its almost dissapointing, like victory is only ever a matter of time and rockets.

Like that. Shattering the farmhouse? Impressive. Psy-blasting alyx's brain out? Impressive. Killing Eli by breaking through the wall of a hangar? Impressive. Waiting at the end of a long string of combine to use three different attacks on you, before dying to enough damage? Not impressive.

I do trust valve not to serve us with a circle-strafe fight, but the advisors had so much menace that defeating one wouldnt be as impressive, for me. setting up a warp to blast them all to the abyss i could live with, but not cover, rockets, and so forth.

EDIT: Other things that were impressive until i shot them: Saren, Harbinger, the Special Infected, Hunters, the Ninja Assassin women from HL1

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
  7. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    There's a reason why they cut it out of the game, it obviously did not work well. I really wish people would stop trying to postulate what the end of Ep3 will be, I doubt it will be anything we expect.

8. LeSwordfish

Positive Ratings:
    I've heard rumours of reducing the players power, which makes sense to me. You start off with everything, and are reduced to nothing.

9. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    Like every Metroid Prime game?

10. Loc_n_lol

Loc_n_lol L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Valve can't count to 3, don't believe it.

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  11. Moose

Moose L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Nope, I think he meant the other way around.

12. LeSwordfish

Positive Ratings:
  13. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings: