[Guide] Material proxies (for cool effects)

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by VelvetFistIronGlove, Jan 5, 2010.

1. VelvetFistIronGlove

aa VelvetFistIronGlove

Positive Ratings:
    I wrote a guide on material proxies, which I researched for the spinning Earth in my control point minicontest entry. The guide has been posted on nodraw.net; here's the intro and link.

Material proxies are a neat little feature of the Source engine that let you alter various properties of a material dynamically. This can produce some neat effects, as the texture position, scale, rotation, transparency and much more can be changed continuously, or even in response to game events.

Take Half-life 2, for example. You know those combine force-fields, that ripple with energy, and fade out as you move away from it? Or in Team Fortress 2, you’ll have seen the rotating radar screen in the 2fort basement. Both those effects are done with material proxies.

• Thanks Thanks x 4
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  2. gamemaster1996

gamemaster1996 L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks this'll be useful.

3. Acumen

aa Acumen Annoyer

Positive Ratings:
    shameless ads :D
    nah, read it on nodraw yesterday and must say boy this is a complex subject, but if you understood and know how and where to put it to use this can make great effects - small details can make the difference in the end :)

lovely article ! thanks a lot for that :)

4. Dr. ROCKZO

Dr. ROCKZO L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Wow, awesome, I think I'll need some practice on this.

5. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Great read but I would have liked a bit more TF2 pointers.

6. VelvetFistIronGlove

aa VelvetFistIronGlove

Positive Ratings:
    Since nodraw is aimed generally at the Source engine, I thought it'd be appropriate to use the least common denominator, HL2. Everything in that article will work in TF2 also.

• Thanks Thanks x 1