Guide for What to do With Gameplay Feedback?

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Resources' started by ChuckSpurgeon, Jun 30, 2016.

1. ChuckSpurgeon

ChuckSpurgeon L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hey, all--I was completely surprised that my first payload map, pl_mannfood_a1 got played last night. I've never received feedback and would like to take it seriously and give this map a try at real life. :)

I'd like to know if there's a guide here on how mappers (especially new ones like me) should employ the feedback they receive--I don't mean in attitude, either. I see a lot of hurt feelings from some mappers-defensiveness and such--and I think I can handle hearing hard feedback about my map. What I'd like to know is how to access the coordinate feedback people gave [besides typing each coordinate into Hammer with "go to coordinates"), as well as what I do with the .demo. I tried opening it, but my computer tells me I don't have an application that will open it(?).

Anyhow, if this guide exists, someone toss me a bone (and thanks for your patience). If not, I'd love some procedural guidelines on how a good mapper goes about using the feedback they get.

Thanks, you guys!

2. sooshey

aa sooshey :3c

Positive Ratings:
    There isn't an easier way to go to coordinates unfortunately :( All you can do is paste the coordinates and go like you said.
    To play demos, go into TF2, open the console, and type "playdemo [demoname]". Shift+f2 will open a playback window you can use to pause, play, skip around, etc. You can't play demos outside TF2 as far as i know.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    IIRC you can download a VMF with all the feedback. Unsure how it works, I suspect it's written in some entities like info_null in appropriate places.

4. ChuckSpurgeon

ChuckSpurgeon L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Ah! Thanks! That will be helpful. :)

As to the coordinates...I ain't afraid of a little hard work. That's what I'll do!

5. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    I'll say once more there is a way to do it. Not quite an convenient one but someone here isn't afraid of a little hard work. :)
    Some mappers like @phi though prefer copying coords, so it's your choice.

• Like Like x 1
  6. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    If you sign into the feedback site, a few more options appear on each map's page, such as "claim this map" and "download as vmf." These let you mark feedback as completed (sort of like a to-do list) and download the vmf of info_nulls, respectively. See this guide (and also this reference page) for loading the vmf as an instance in your map.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    To add onto that, you'll want to collapse the instance so that you can look at each node individually. There's also a way to paste in the feedback .vmf with Paste Special, but I've never done it myself.

8. Hyperion

aa Hyperion L16: Grid Member

Positive Ratings:
    Speaking of .vmf feedback, someone could make Hammer config and model that turns info_nulls bigger and more noticeable than those small white boxes