[GUIDE][Blender] Displacement Sculpting alternative

ALIEN31

L1: Registered
Oct 17, 2015
This is an easy way, for people (like me) that don't like or can't sculpt/use 3dsmax (with wallworm), and just want to fix things fast!!!

You will need SourceOps, Lassi Vmf Importer (Optional) and Blender 2.8+ in order to use this.​

1. Add a plane, and add the Multires modifier.
2. Go to subdivisions, and click simple until the value of Sculpt/Render/Level Viewport are 2 3 or 4.
connection3.png

3. Make a copy of the plane, and apply ONLY TO THE COPY the modifier.
4. This is the part where YOU work on the shape of your displacement, by using the plane with the applied modifier.
5. Once you finished Hold Crtl, click the copy and then the original plane with the modifier
connection1.png

6. In the Modifier, open the Shape tab and hit Reshape, your original plane will get the same placement as the copy
Connection2.png

7. Set Geometry scale to 100 and Texture scale 0.250, then Export it as .vmf from the SourceOps Menu
8. Open your fresh .vmf, check if the custom displacement matches with an existing one in your map.
i usually Paste Special so it stays in the original location for checking. Here's the Result:
connection4.png

9.(Optional?) Be sure you made the plane in Blender touch the edges of an original displacement brush, it should look like this in Hammer
Connection.png

In-Game Result [Tested on Badwater as example, since they had complex cliffs]​

connection5.png

Congratulations, now you should be able to make cliffs, seal tops, patch or model terrain easily and precisely! (if you hate sculpting... or something idk)

Notes:
You should be able to give it a texture or edit the UV? but i recommend finishing the job in hammer.
The Vmf importer is just for matching up stuff and act like an helper.
Brush height when exported is 8 units (The Author will make changes to the plugin since i spoke to him)​

Attachments

• Connection2.png
    Connection2.png
    130.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Connection2.png
    Connection2.png
    770.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited: