Gridiron

weasel

L1: Registered
Apr 22, 2010
This is the first version for testing. Ready for feedback on Layout, Playability, and Item Placement.

This submission is for April 24th, 2010 testing on the EU test server.

A1: First Version
----------------------
- Basic Rough Layout
- Generic Health/Ammo Placement
- Generic Lighting
- No Detail
- No Architecture
- No Art
- Ready for Playtesting for Layout and Item Placement

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
I don't think that the death pit (or what seems to be a death pit) is necessary at the capture zone, it's bound to get annoying soon.

weasel

Apr 22, 2010
Yeah, I may remove the pit depending on how the first round of testing goes.

With the layout I had in mind was that the main path through the map is relatively short, but wide open. In it being short, it's very easy for a team to set up control between the flag spawn and their team's cap point, which could also result in spawn camping at the same time. By requiring a sacrifice in order to cap, that reduces the chance of this happening.

None-the-less, it's a concept I wanted to play with that may not make it very far though the versions.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
I like the layout, not sure about the pit though.

Mr. Wimples

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 27, 2010
Contrary to popular opinion, I actually kinda like the sack-cap idea. Its something interesting I haven't seen done before (It may have been done before), but I haven't seen it). It might, however, lead players to disregard their safety and make a mad dash to the cap because they have no incentive of getting out of it alive. Also, this could simply lead to the entire team massing up and charging the cap zone. Nevertheless, this type of cap-style is new to me and I don't know how well it'd work.

The overall design is pretty nice, but some parts seem a wee bit too open. Throw a few storage crates in those spots outside the cap zones for cover. One thing I also would love to see, but would require a bit of work, is a flag that looks like a football :p.

Anyway, looks well thought out and I'm looking forward to see the finished product.

Omnomnick

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 16, 2009
Your layout looks simple and easy to understand (Which is obviously a good thing). I'm a little confused as to why there is a massive grey sheet outside of the map? Is that a 3D skybox or something else?

Is that a death pit right infront of the Team spawns? That would be annoying for people just leaving the spawns and not looking where they're going - potentially wasting a full 10-15 seconds of respawn time!

weasel

Apr 22, 2010
I'll provide some clarification on the design of the map.

It's a single-flag CTF map which means the flag is neutral and both teams can carry it. Each team's capture zone is at the opposite teams spawn area. This is commonly refered to as Football CTF.

I wanted the map to be a fast map. It takes only 45 seconds for a scout to spawn, grab the flag and cap it. The problem with this is that it makes the map scout-favored and potentially bad for the slower classes. Additionally, it's possible for one team to control the enemy's spawn room while a single runner quickly finishes the game by running the 20 second path between the flag spawn and cap point.

So to offset this I took two approaches. 1) Sacrifice to cap, and 2) The fast routes through the map are wide open.

What the sacrifice pit does is reduce a team's forward count for each cap. This gives the other team a minor chance to regain control of their end of the map after a cap.

By keeping the fast route through the map open, the player has to decide if he wants to risk being in the open for the fast cap, or take his time by taking the slower covered routes.

The way the spike pits are design is this: There are 3 brushes stacked inside of each pit. The top brush is the "capture zone", making sure it is deep enough into the pit that a scout cannot double-jump out after a cap. The other two burshes occupy the same space below the capture zone brush; one is the "hurt brush" to kill the capper and the other is a "flag reset" brush should the flag fall into the pit by being dropped intentionally or the carrier being killed over the pit.

The catwalk/hallway above the flag spawn room that splits the map in half is intended as a sniper/spy playground. The windows are not currently intended to be passed through, but feedback may change this. If I keep it as a player clip, I will need to add graphics make the "no passage, but shoot through" make sense (like the broken window frames on the sniper decks in Well).