Grid Issues

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Sgt Frag, May 25, 2009.

1. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    I have this annoying problem with the grid and I wonder if anyone else has it.

I haven't quite pinned down how it happens. Might be between sessions, might be because I was using a smaller grid, close and reopen Hammer...

Anyway. Hammer says I am working on grid 16. I zoom out some to resize large brushes and it seems like I am working on a small grid (doesn't snap to big lines easily when zoomed out.).
    So I choose a larger grid size (it should go to 32) but it goes to 8. I click again and it goes to 16.
    So I am really starting at grid 4 but Hammer says 16. This happens alot and I end up having to go back and clean stuff up onto a larger grid I thought I was on.

It's screwed me up on quite a few occasions. Anyone else have this issue?
    It's possible when I closed Hammer I was working at grid 4, but it should say that when I reopen.

2. StoneFrog

StoneFrog L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hammer has lied to me about grid size before. Seems to happen if, for example, my map is on Grid 16 and then I open up another map using Grid 4 or something. When I return to my map, I'll be back on Grid 16 but Hammer's status bar at the bottom forgets to update itself.

3. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Try looking hammer settings, I think I saw something like that earlier.

4. zornor

zornor L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Sometimes when I alttab back into hammer it'll say 128 when it's really on 1 or something.

5. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, the issue is that it does not properly update the grid status when you switch from map to map, only when you change the grid.

6. Sgt Frag

Positive Ratings:
    thanks. glad it's not a 'me only' thing :)

it's been driving me nuts, guess I just have to be aware and constantly check it.

7. Vigilante212

Vigilante212 L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    this is why I always work with grid 1 :)

8. Sgt Frag

Positive Ratings:
    Isn't making 16 unti thick walls kindof a pain that way Vig?

9. StoneFrog

StoneFrog L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Isn't making a map's level geometry proportional kindof a pain that way Vig?

10. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Something I just realized. I usually have the 3D grid enabled... which tends to make it really obvious if I'm on the wrong grid setting.

11. VelvetFistIronGlove

aa VelvetFistIronGlove

Positive Ratings:
    If in doubt, I just toggle the grid on and off (press Shift+W), or toggle the size (press [ then ]).

12. Vigilante212

Vigilante212 L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    It may be a bit more time consuming at first, but I make do. It still takes alot less time then making displacments lol