Great map setup! But should I copy?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by spwee, Feb 13, 2010.

1. spwee

spwee L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I've got a great layout of a map. Think the grand canyon's ravine and the cave sections are hollowed out and there's a base on top. Well, i finished the first 2 floors i had planned for the hollowed out portion, and i got to the third one. I originally got the majority of my design ideas from parts of Meet the Spy. (when the spy kills the engineer.) I was wondering, should i continue the theme and copy the basement bit of 2fort, which actually would work for my map, or should i come up with something original and throw away my theme?

2. jpr

aa jpr

Positive Ratings:
    Hm, let me think...

NO.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. spwee

Positive Ratings:
    im assuming you're saying to the copying

4. HeaH

HeaH L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Make your own. Copying from other maps is boring, and it's very looked down on

5. spwee

Positive Ratings:
    that's what i was thinking, i just wanted to get some input from others. Now, i just need to design something interesting for that floor =/

6. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    Yes... yes it is...

7. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    just make your own. you can make it similar tho. try not to copy, that's all

8. spwee

Positive Ratings:
    thats what i have decided to do

9. Grim Tuesday

aa Grim Tuesday

Positive Ratings:
    Ya, dont copy. The only thing that I ever copy from maps are stairs. I hate making them myself lol.

10. UKCS-Alias

aa UKCS-Alias Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?

Positive Ratings:
    Copying such things are often fine as they take alot of work and nobody would notice and actualy even care as you still use the stairs your own way. Such thing is just like using a prop from a valve map.

Just dont copy areas. Even cloning a general layout gameplay wise cant be good. A map should clearly show your input or people will find it a bit too much like an imitation.