Gravelpile

KotH Gravelpile A3 V2

Makzutheamazing

L1: Registered
Dec 12, 2015
Gravelpile - My first proper map. RED and BLU fights over a pile of gravel.

You have seen RED and BLU fight over almost everything on almost everywhere. Now prepare yourself, as the teams are about to engage in combat over...a pile of gravel?

This is my first proper map. Got to say, the mapping tools are not so easy to learn.

Here are some screenshots:
cNQG3Zt.jpg
NaK6hXh.jpg
Qa1wWNY.jpg

SierraStorms

Oct 23, 2015
You did great with your first map! The sightlines, the spawns and courtyard sizes are just right. I would make mid a little bit bigger.
rVDk8QK.jpg

And add an "info_observer_point" or two to your map. Sometimes maps/servers will crash from the lack of one.
Cosmetic map feedback: Two of your "func_respawnroomvisualizer"s are floating from the door of RED and BLU. But it's great that the opposite teams still can't get in.
bo3amBM.jpg

DcOVtHF.jpg

Some textures are out of line. It can be fixed by selecting the brushes, click :faceedittool:, and change Texture Shift's X and Y values to "0".
D7tKaI2.jpg

Overall, you did a good job :). I wonder how Gravelpile would play with a full server.

JMaxchill

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 21, 2015
You probably already know this, but in alpha (especially a1) ignore ALL detail feedback.
Two of your "func_respawnroomvisualizer"s are floating from the door of RED and BLU
This is detail feedback.
Some textures are out of line. It can be fixed by selecting the brushes, click :faceedittool:, and change Texture Shift's X and Y values to "0".
Don't. Really, don't.
@Tierra-Verde, sorry if I come off as a jerk but this seems to happen far too often (not necessarily you, just on TF2M in general)

SierraStorms

Oct 23, 2015
You probably already know this, but in alpha (especially a1) ignore ALL detail feedback.

This is detail feedback.

Don't. Really, don't.
@Tierra-Verde, sorry if I come off as a jerk but this seems to happen far too often (not necessarily you, just on TF2M in general)
Can you tell me the correct way to fix the textures?

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014

Not true. There is a difference between being nitpicky about irrelevant details such as texture choices or clutter props in alphas, and offering a newbie advice on things that would be easy to overlook. Loads of new mappers miss the texture alignment tools entirely (you know the infamous wood beams with the grain running the wrong way) and the placement of respawnroomvisualizers directly under a door frame is sort of an unspoken standard. Of course, telling these things to an experienced mapper would be a waste of time, but you never know what a new mapper might have missed while learning. So I see no reason why Tierra-Verde's feedback should be disregarded.

JMaxchill

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 21, 2015
Loads of new mappers miss the texture alignment tools entirely (you know the infamous wood beams with the grain running the wrong way)
I realise that this could be helpful, but in alpha knowledge of the texture alignment tools isn't really needed so it's kinda unnecessary to give feedback on it.
the placement of respawnroomvisualizers directly under a door frame is sort of an unspoken standard
Very true, I stand corrected

Makzutheamazing

Dec 12, 2015
- Reworked the entrance near the sniping balcony to reduce sightlines (see the screenshots)
- Raised the point slightly
- Changed the main entrance's medium ammo pack into a full one
- General clipping
- Fixed being able to shoot into other teams spawn from the second courtyard

Read the rest of this update entry...

Makzutheamazing

Dec 12, 2015
Wow it has been a year since i have updated this. Better late than never, eh?

- Updated textures to match the theme.
- Fixed bugs.
- Increased the size of the second courtyard and the area around the point.
- Added a new, experimental route that goes through the middle building in the second courtyard.
- Changed the sniping balcony's medium health- and ammo packs to small ones (due to the new route through the building).
- Changed the layout of the hallway with trucks.
- There may be more changes but it has been so long, I have long forgotten. It is almost sad, yes?

No screenshots, I have gotten lazy.

Mess About

L7: Fancy Member
Jan 16, 2017
there should be some props that let cappers reach that high ground, imagine the enemy spams rockets & stickies down the CP but you can't fight back

vaJh1PD.jpg

Makzutheamazing

Dec 12, 2015
There were some issues noted on the last impromptu test that I fixed in this version. However, it only had 3 players per team, so I could not have gather enough data to properly work on the map.

- Learned what displacements are.
- Added a rock cover to building-balcony exit.
- Changed the small health pack on the sniping balcony to a medium one.
- Added a small health pack inside the building.
- Reverted back to dev textures.
- Increased the capture area to cover the whole pile of gravel.
- General clipping and bug fixing

No screenshots again, sorry! I promise to have something on the next version though!