Gravel Rocket

cyked

L3: Member
Dec 18, 2009
I feel that the house turned mid into a battle that took place in closer quarters as opposed to people attacking from opposite sides of the mid area. I think it improved game play for several classes and made the mid area more interesting/more height differentation

No post thanks? Boylee is a sad panda. :(
Looks good though. ;)
I could've sworn I gave you thanks... Doesn't matter, all is well now :D

Last edited:

cyked

Dec 18, 2009
Thanks for the comparison. That screenshot gives me some ideas of some changes i can make to make you feel like its not of a granary copy :D

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
OK I had a run about last night, here's my initial thoughts.

The point by spawn has a lot of unused space in front of it and none behind. It's be nice to have a bit more room to manoeuvre behind the point so I'd suggest moving it forward. Maybe something like this.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1766697/screenies/cp_gravelrocket_a2a0000a.JPG
Or something better, that was about 40 seconds of mspaint scribbling, but you get the idea.

Redundant space:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1766697/screenies/cp_gravelrocket_a2a0005.jpg

Seems like you have a lot of routes through to the last point, 2 main routes and two flanks. I'd suggest closing one of the flanks. Also, from a defensive point of view, flanks that have penetration this deep, (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1766697/screenies/cp_gravelrocket_a2a0007.jpg) usually have some sort of disadvantage. Normally they're very easy to see into or they occupy lower ground. This on does neither, just something to consider.

It's be nice to at least see into this room from another angle maybe even enter from a different angle, either through it's side or from the point before.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1766697/screenies/cp_gravelrocket_a2a0003.jpg

I'd recommend closing this door off (along with it's dupe on the other side) as that would force people through the point.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1766697/screenies/cp_gravelrocket_a2a0002.jpg

Saving the best for last, this is probably my biggest gripe.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1766697/screenies/cp_gravelrocket_a2a0001.jpg
Why is this resupply here, did it get lost? Seriously though, this is so open to abuse it's not even funny. There's a reason that resupply areas are normally only used where people spawn.
Would a large health and ammo not do a better job?

All in all though I think this looks promising. I'll get it up on the playstuff.net server at some point so we can give it a gameplay test.

cyked

Dec 18, 2009
Thanks for all the great feedback and the playtest. I will be addressing most of these concerns in my next release.
OK I had a run about last night, here's my initial thoughts.

The point by spawn has a lot of unused space in front of it and none behind. It's be nice to have a bit more room to manoeuvre behind the point so I'd suggest moving it forward. Maybe something like this.
cp_gravelrocket_a2a0000a.JPG

Or something better, that was about 40 seconds of mspaint scribbling, but you get the idea.
This is an interesting idea. Im not so sure about the building around the point though

Redundant space:
cp_gravelrocket_a2a0005.jpg

Seems like you have a lot of routes through to the last point, 2 main routes and two flanks. I'd suggest closing one of the flanks. Also, from a defensive point of view, flanks that have penetration this deep, (
cp_gravelrocket_a2a0007.jpg
) usually have some sort of disadvantage. Normally they're very easy to see into or they occupy lower ground. This on does neither, just something to consider.

It's be nice to at least see into this room from another angle maybe even enter from a different angle, either through it's side or from the point before.
cp_gravelrocket_a2a0003.jpg
Fixed this by closing off that flank and adding a walkable conveyor that leads from the room with the health/ammo to the building. I also extended the building to the wall.

I'd recommend closing this door off (along with it's dupe on the other side) as that would force people through the point.
cp_gravelrocket_a2a0002.jpg
Funny you should mention that. I was thinking about it today when I was playtesting and running to get health that the room was too accessible from that side. Door is now closed. :)

Saving the best for last, this is probably my biggest gripe.
cp_gravelrocket_a2a0001.jpg

Why is this resupply here, did it get lost? Seriously though, this is so open to abuse it's not even funny. There's a reason that resupply areas are normally only used where people spawn.
Would a large health and ammo not do a better job?
That is a forward spawn that You get when you cap mid. In the next version I changed the doors to only be 1 way. This should fix the issues of the defense running into the room, rehealing then killing everyone. :D

I'll get it up on the playstuff.net server at some point so we can give it a gameplay test.
Thanks again! I'll be sure to get you the latest version when I finish it!

Last edited:

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
A3 was good. Your second point still resembles granary, just not as much now! Last point felt a little spammy, I dunno. Mid feels better with the building, I think you should remove the two dynamic doors at either side (I kept on getting ambushed through them and it started to piss me off!), and split up the mid from red/blu some more at mid.

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
Forgot to add this: I couldn't pick up this healthkit for some reason (is it too far under the thing maybe?)

cp_gravelrocket_11.jpg

cyked

Dec 18, 2009
yeah I forgot to copy the changes i made on the red side to the blu side with the health/ammo there. thanks for reminding me :D

Mr.Late

L7: Fancy Member
Nov 27, 2009
cp_gravelrocket_a3a0006.jpg

I can see the door through the floor!

cp_gravelrocket_a3a0007.jpg

Where that mysterious ramp is leading to?

Map was pretty good though. Balance was okay, but when I played teams were not that good.

DjD

L5: Dapper Member
May 18, 2010
Map played good, played it during MV playtest event.

Some issues:

attachment.php

This ground texture was flickering, like there would be 2 brushes overlapping each other.

attachment.php

Is this gravel texture there on purpose?

attachment.php

This ramp leads into the ceiling.

ParanoidDrone

Feb 19, 2009
Testing bump?

Anyway, I got a bit of a Granary vibe from the final point, in a good way. It was stronger when leaving spawn than pushing in, and probably just because it's a yard and a building.

I rarely got lost, definitely a good thing. (I need to work on that in my own map...)

The Real Tom

L1: Registered
Jun 9, 2010
Can't say much because i didn't have my testing head on but i can say that i really enjoyed this map.

Has potential, keep up the good work!

Aug 10, 2009
The second cap was really hard to capture back, I blame this on the advantages given to the attackers of the second cap, aka the height advantage. It should also be noted that the second cap was quite easily taken.

Additionally, you may wish to note that heavies are lethal on your map :p

Mar 23, 2010
overall it was pretty fun. a few displacement seams here and there.
I like the routes and the yards. Mid is good; Last is good. The main problem is 2nd/4th. it is very easily taken and not-so easily taken back. Should really only have one of those two really.

a few changes might be too:
1. add some cover/health on the high ground at 2nd (the white dev textured peace)
2. move the point to the center of the room (or closer to the center) instead of towards the wall closer to mid (some routes would need changing)
3. make cap time longer
4. move the doors inwards more (???)
5. put it on a spire

The medium health on the left was too easy for attackers (when going in the door to 2nd). give defenders something!

Last edited: