Gravel Co. Sentry?

Vicenti

L2: Junior Member
Jun 22, 2008
I'm building a map in which both RED and BLU invade a Gray base, and I'm looking to build sentries that fire at both teams. I set the sentry team to 'Any.' It wound up with a blue color, and fired on me as a BLU player, but not as RED. But as RED I could still destroy the sentry.

Is there a way to tell the sentry to fire at all players without modding the game?
Is it possible to reskin the sentry gun to be a more Gravel Co.-appropriate color? (And still keep red and blue sentries)

Vicenti

Jun 22, 2008
My experience during gameplay is that opposing sentries will shoot each other - I built a sentry once very near an opponent's sentry that was busy killing someone else. When it finished with them it blew up my sentry.

My only problem with what you suggested is that it wouldn't feel neutral - it'd feel like each team got into the base earlier and built sentries... right next to each other... kinda like building 2forts right next to each other. :)

I'll try it and see if I can get it to work, though I'd still like a neutral gray sentry.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Are you sure it didn't shoot your sentry because you were behind it? I've built a sentry in line of site of another and they didn't shoot each other.. but this was way before any class patches etc. It might have changed.

Rad

L1: Registered
Aug 25, 2008
You could arrange it so that the entrance of each side of the base is guarded with sentries of an opposite color. For example, when the reds first invade the base, they're confronted with blue sentries.

Sentries will ALWAYS shoot other buildings if they aren't their color unless it's shooting something else or there's something blocking visibility.

Dec 25, 2007
Give the sentry a name, and put in a logic_auto that has the output: OnMapSpawn : <sentry name> : SetTeam : 1
Might work (red and blue teams are 2 and 3). It'll still *look* red or blue, though. And I don't think you can reskin it without affecting the sentries built by players. Uriak's idea is probably the one to go for here.

teddyruxpin

Sr. Hygiene Technician
Mar 24, 2008
I ran into this problem on my gimmick maps and ended up making a hollow box just a bit bigger then the SG. The box was then set with invisible texture and was changed to a func_brush. I would then create a trigger_multiple to 'disable' the func_brush box and allow the SG to start firing on the targets. This allowed me to put red and blue SG's right next to each other and would open up the correct box when a player entered the room and walked through the trigger_multiple.

Had more fun with it and team_filters by creating a room full of these with 16 blue and 16 red SG's. Then laid down 50+ triggers on the floor that would open and close various boxes to let them take each other and the players in teh room out. I used the same configuration as the respawning Dispensers tutorial and have them set to respawn at random times after they are destroyed.

I can upload a vmf of it if anyone is interested.

-Teddy

bobby1211

Jun 28, 2008
I ran into this problem on my gimmick maps and ended up making a hollow box just a bit bigger then the SG. The box was then set with invisible texture and was changed to a func_brush. I would then create a trigger_multiple to 'disable' the func_brush box and allow the SG to start firing on the targets. This allowed me to put red and blue SG's right next to each other and would open up the correct box when a player entered the room and walked through the trigger_multiple.

Had more fun with it and team_filters by creating a room full of these with 16 blue and 16 red SG's. Then laid down 50+ triggers on the floor that would open and close various boxes to let them take each other and the players in teh room out. I used the same configuration as the respawning Dispensers tutorial and have them set to respawn at random times after they are destroyed.

I can upload a vmf of it if anyone is interested.

-Teddy

<---Interested. I gotta see this.

-Bobby

Dox

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 26, 2007
There is 16 of them in that room? Whenever I go through it I see 4 max... hard to move around in there with all those boxes...

teddyruxpin

Sr. Hygiene Technician
Mar 24, 2008
There is actually more like 32 total in there 16 red and 16 blue hidden throughout the boxes. Keep in mind they blow each other pretty quick and there is a 30-60 second spawn timer so you may not see them all and you would have to hit all the triggers to expose them all aswell.

I will post the VMF of just the SG bits here in a bit.

-Teddy