Grass

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

pastuh

L1: Registered
May 11, 2008
Hello , i have problem.
I want creat small map with nice grass.
Texture: nature/blendgroundtograss007
When im using displacement nothing happens... Ground still without grass, only hill with texture..

I tryed type in map>properties some different .vbsp and detail materials... but nothing.
How fix? With other (desert) texture works.. but not with green..
Please help.
Already googled.. but still nothing.

pastuh

May 11, 2008
This small area and was done with "Paint Alpha" .
Im talking about grass... (flowers, etc.). I dont want naked hills.. :/

Look here, how it looks:

Last edited:

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Map -> Map Properties

Detail.vbsp -> detail_trainyard.vbsp
Detail Material File -> detail/detailsprites_trainyard

Hm, Could leaks prevent details such as grass from generating?

pastuh

May 11, 2008
I tryed this type in properties, but thought i can see theas plants if none skybox.
Desert texture with grass i can see.. but i will try again..

Edit: still nothing..

Last edited:

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Grass isn't displayed in Hammer for some reason. Follow Icarus's post about VBSP and it should appear in-game.

pastuh

May 11, 2008
Grass isn't displayed in Hammer for some reason. Follow Icarus's post about VBSP and it should appear in-game.

"Should appear in-game" its a joke? How i can to know where need more grass and where low?
Ok, im going to cry..

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
"Should appear in-game" its a joke? How i can to know where need more grass and where low?
Ok, im going to cry..

I'm on exams period, I end this Friday. I'll take a look at that on Friday, if you don't mind to wait.

Sep 12, 2008
you have to make sure your texture is nature/blendgroundtograss007 instead of nature/blendgroundtograss007_nodetail. Otherwise, your grass won't appear. I had problems with it, and that solved my problem, I used the wrong texture.

pastuh

May 11, 2008
I tryed different textures.. and no one green texture worked.. Only desert/sand type.
Now im trying reinstall sdk

l3eeron

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jan 4, 2008
detail props (grass/flowers) should show up in the 3d view if you have the right option checked. I see all the grass in my 3d view in hammer....

If you want to use the detail prop grass in a 3d skybox, you would have to create a custom texture with the detail prop scaled down to 16th, but I dont even think that's possible. There's no "scale" variable for detail props, as far as I can see. I say, that's all unnecessary, just use the _nodetail in the skybox. I made an alpine map, I used detail props in the playing field and nodetail in the skybox and it looks awesome.

Last edited:

pastuh

May 11, 2008
10 times looked with 3d camera..
Not works f****** grass... 6hours spend for this... and still nothing.
Tired... im going sleep and forget this map.
Thx 4 help

l3eeron

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jan 4, 2008
Relax man...

It's OK to get frustrated and put it down for a bit, just don't give up!!!

See:
detailprops3d.jpg

Here's your setting for it, make sure you have it like mine. Depending on how good your graphics hardware is, you can adjust your prop detail distance.

detailsettings.jpg

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Ok, im going to cry..

You can't! Blame Valve for this but it doesn't matter anyway. Wherever there is green there will be grass and that is all that's important.