CP GrandCanyon

Tarry H Sruman

Large Orphanage Proprietor
aa
Jul 31, 2011
A multi-stage attack/defend map in the vein of Dustbowl or Gorge with multiple stages. Currently a heavy WIP, only the alpha version of the first stage is completed. I plan on waiting for a gameday before I continue on to the next stage.

The first stage of the map is built on a cliff alongside a large canyon. After capturing the Red base in the first stage, Blu has to attack a base on the opposite side of the canyon via a large rail bridge (not implemented yet).

More info to come as I get further into development, but feel free to run around in it and give tips.

Last edited:

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
You have some bad lighting and shadows in the third picture, did you happen to carve a 32-sided cylinder into those walls? Other than that, it looks a bit overscaled but should play fine.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Instead of doing that make four trapezoidal brushes enclosing a square area, make all the outward facing faces displacements and then subdivide

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
The pipes are 32-sided cylinders. The lighting is just point lights for now, but I have noticed that the shadows dont work properly on the pipes. The first pipe looks perfect but the second and especially the third look really bad, as you can see in the screenshot.

Instead of doing that make four trapezoidal brushes enclosing a square area, make all the outward facing faces displacements and then subdivide

That only works if he doesn't mind the end walls being warped. 2fort uses standard arch-based walls and it looks fine; there's probably some other reason for this. Off the top of my head:
  • Visleaf cutting inside the tunnel for some reason
  • Lightmap scale being bigger than the segments
  • General weirdness caused by using Carve instead of arch brushes
Visleaves can be checked using Map -> Load Portal File in Hammer. Lightmaps can be checked using the dropdown in the top-left of the 3D viewport. And if you used Carve, delete those cylinders and build new ones using the arch brush type (make a 360-degree arch at least big enough around to overlap the straight walls, then use the clipping tool to trim off the excess).