Model Graham and Leo's 3D Assets - Critiques Wanted!

Discussion in 'Models & Textures' started by Rizz, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Rizz

Rizz L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    A friend and I are working on a few map props, this is our thread dedicated to them. I (Graham) am the 3d artist for all the assets for the foreseeable future while my friend is focusing on texturing. We're in need of some critiques for the textures; however, we're only looking for critiques from actual 3d artists who've worked with getting their own assets into the game.

The first asset we're working on is a medieval well, we need some useful critiques to help us grow in the realm of tf2 texturing.
    https://sketchfab.com/models/eff8352a283a46f3ba7a85fbf5b7c5b0

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  2. Coding Ethan

Coding Ethan L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    That prop looks amazing!

3. Berry

aa Berry Sharing is caring, and I don't care

Positive Ratings:
    I really like the model, but something about it just seems very Dota 2-y. Perhaps it just needs showing in an in-game setting?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. MegapiemanPHD

aa MegapiemanPHD Doctorate in Deliciousness

Positive Ratings:
    I feel it's maybe a bit TOO curvy to fit TF2 super well. Still looks good though.

5. Kraken

Kraken Few more zeros and ones for the site to proccess

Positive Ratings:
    That is an excelent looking prop, but the roof tiles don't really fit tf2.

6. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
  7. Rizz

Positive Ratings:
    Thank you Tumbolisu, we've seen that however. Do you, or anyone else have any critiques on the art style in terms of brush strokes? We as a team are looking for replies from experienced artists instead of links to guides, or videos. No offence intended of course!

I may ask on the polycount forums as well very soon, but tf2maps.net was my first stop. :)
    Could the DotA theme work in TF2 if the textures were TF2ified? I am talking about having the wonky feel that dota and other games have in the model itself, but the texture follows the TF2 standards.

8. Moonrat

aa Moonrat The end of an era

Positive Ratings:
    TF2 mostly has really broad strokes within the textures, yours are a bit too precise to fit in with the other props, I love the rest of it though!

9. Rizz

Positive Ratings:
    Thank you Moonrat, that is helpful advice! I'll show my texture artist buddy some example if I can find some.

10. Zed

aa Zed Certified Most Crunk™

Positive Ratings:
    My opinion, your brush strokes aren't thick enough, and the tiles are much too defined. I'd say make the tiles thinner, more uniformed, more saturated, and have them overlap.

The roundness and flow of the supports also doesn't feel like something you'd see in TF2.