Got an idea for a new gamemode, made it, but still have a few problems

Ten_Tacles

L1: Registered
Jun 21, 2016
Capture All the Flags
The goal in this mode is to have more flags in your base than your enemy when the timer runs out.

All flags start out in a single neutral pile on the middle of the map, while the flag piles in the team's bases start empty.
Piles consist of a pile of intel cases, for decoration made of prop_dynamics, and a single proper item_teamflag that can be picked up, directly spawning another flag as long as the pile isn't empty (the pile is reduced by 1 intel case, the flag pickup itself counts as 1 aswell).
A dropped flag will despawn quickly and return to the pile it came from.
The neutral pile can be picked up by both teams, the base piles can only be picked up the enemy.

I have attached a proof-of-concept, a tiny room with a working pile for each team (and a neutral one).

My problems
1: The normal rules of CTF still apply, if 1 team caps 3 times, they win, unless the server has set the cap limit higher.
2: Can I manually activate Overtime?

If you could help me with these problems that would be amazing!
Some criticism for the game mode would be neat as well.

Last edited:

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
My problems
1: The normal rules of CTF still apply, if 1 team caps 3 times, they win, unless the server has set the cap limit higher.
2: The prop_dynamics in the piles are disabled if the pile is empty (or just not 100% filled), they are not visible but they still have collision.
3: I heard too many prop_dynamics are bad, is there something else that looks just as nice, but runs faster?
Some criticism for the game mode would be neat as well.

Sounds like a cool concept.
  1. I'm sure there's a way to control this with CTF logic, not sure how.
  2. Just kill them, don't disable them.
  3. Just use prop_static, why do you need prop_dynamics for a pile of non-moving things?

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
The need for a prop_dynamic is because the stack changes size as flags are taken from it.

sooshey

:3c
aa
Jan 7, 2015
This seems like it would be pretty cool, but I suggest keeping the piles of captured flags separate from the spawn area so that it's not too easy for teams to hoard and guard their piles. Just like the common complaint with Landfall. Also, after the initial scramble for the neutral flags, it'll be pretty much regular CTF.

As for your problem #2, if the piles already look okay (save for the collisions), maybe you could make it obvious that the player is not supposed to stand where the pile is, and include a player clip, so it won't matter if the collisions stay there or not. You could fence off the pile or put it under a low ceiling.

Ten_Tacles

Jun 21, 2016
Maybe use PD logic and turn off players dropping flags?
Dropping flags is okay, I have set them to selfdestruct and move back to the pile they came from if they reset.
Just the "3 caps to win it" is my problem.

This seems like it would be pretty cool, but I suggest keeping the piles of captured flags separate from the spawn area so that it's not too easy for teams to hoard and guard their piles. Just like the common complaint with Landfall. Also, after the initial scramble for the neutral flags, it'll be pretty much regular CTF.
Yes, I fear this too, so the neutral flags could be split up in several piles, that are timelocked.
And even if it starts to become regular CTF, it still has some differences:
1. It doesn't stalemate, since it ends on a timer instead of 3 captured flags
2. If one team has >50% of the flags, they can play defensively, while the other team is FORCED into offensive, to acquire more flags
3. If the flag from a pile is picked up, it will immediately spawn a new one to pickup as long as the pile isn't empty, meaning a team could easiely turn the tide with a single push if ALL of them grab a flag.

As for your problem #2, if the piles already look okay (save for the collisions), maybe you could make it obvious that the player is not supposed to stand where the pile is, and include a player clip, so it won't matter if the collisions stay there or not. You could fence off the pile or put it under a low ceiling.
Yeah that's a good idea.

This is a gamemode I've wanted to make for some time, but to no avail. It's similar to TF Classic's Flagrun gamemode. Sadly, I think in CTF's current janky state, we'd need some support from Valve to make this a thing.

I think if I can fix the problem with the original CTF rules, it could definitely work, using a comparator at the end of the timer to determine the winning team.
Maybe the PD overlay could be used to show many flags each team has (In addition to running into their base and looking at the pile).

zahndah

professional letter
aa
Jul 4, 2015
Dropping flags is okay, I have set them to selfdestruct and move back to the pile they came from if they reset.
Just the "3 caps to win it" is my problem.

This is not what yrr meant, she meant use PD logic so you can set the flags captured to be something overly high (so it never gets achieved) but then make people not drop extra flags on death.

Ten_Tacles

Jun 21, 2016
This is not what yrr meant, she meant use PD logic so you can set the flags captured to be something overly high (so it never gets achieved) but then make people not drop extra flags on death.
Hm, okay I have to look into doing that.

EDIT:
Quick test seems PD_logic removes the placed flags.
That doesn't seem to solve it.

EDIT2:
Flag disappearing was a mistake on my end, but the PD logic still made a team win by capping 3 times, and seems to have removed the indicators that you have a flag on your back.

Last edited:

Ten_Tacles

Jun 21, 2016
Can't find a proper fix for the intel cap limit.

But otherwise it works good (if the timer runs out it doesn't activate the overtime voicelines but eh), if anyone would like to take a look at it, I uploaded the hammer file.