Google made a new image format for the web

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Cerulean, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Cerulean

Cerulean L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Google made a new image format for the web [9/30]

Google made a new image format to combat jpeg, saying that it could reduce the filesize of an image about 39% while keeping the same level of quality.

http://blog.chromium.org/2010/09/webp-new-image-format-for-web.html

Criticism quote from wikipedia:

Discuss

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  2. Exist

Exist L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    JPEG, my mortal enemy... To be honest, I don't care much for ultra compression unless it's for a school project or a client who has a slow service provider... The only thing that I use bitmaps for now a glow effects in flash intensive environments, seeing as Flash's filters cause more lag then 5 bitmaps.

Tl;dr - I hate bitmaps, Vector man!!!

3. REEJ

REEJ L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Whatever loads faster.. yes please.
    Go google go, you got too much money anyway

4. FaTony

FaTony Banned

Positive Ratings:
    I'm happy with lossless PNG.

5. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    See? I warned the Internet — let people disown MPEG and H.265 because they're "not open formats" and they'll come after JPEG next! *harumph* Not that there isn't room for another lossy, photo-optimized format out there, preferably one that doesn't rely on breaking everything up into boxes and ignoring much larger areas of near-identical color (like, say, the sky).

Man, if I had a dollar for every time someone uses PNG inappropriately, I could probably pay to fund this project myself. People really need to be educated on the pros and cons of different formats or, at the very least, be forced to see how big their files are and how slow they load at DSL speeds.

6. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    No, it's not! It's pronounced Web Pee. And that is just silly. And ironically appropriate.

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  7. Numerous

Numerous L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    We don't have time to learn what different formats do Steve, we're busy learning about signs/modular, ones compliment, twos compliment, and making lame jokes about "threes crowd".

Also, vectors FTW.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010