Google made a new image format for the web

Cerulean

L3: Member
Sep 12, 2008
Google made a new image format for the web [9/30]

Google made a new image format to combat jpeg, saying that it could reduce the filesize of an image about 39% while keeping the same level of quality.

http://blog.chromium.org/2010/09/webp-new-image-format-for-web.html

Criticism quote from wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
Jason Garrett-Glaser, a developer of the x264 encoder, gave several points of criticism for WebP. Using a comparison of different encodings (JPEG, x264 and WebP) of a reference image, he stated that the quality of the WebP-encoded result was the worst of the three, mostly because of blurriness on the image. His main remark was that "libvpx, a much more powerful encoder than ffmpeg's jpeg encoder, loses because it tries too hard to optimize for PSNR", arguing instead that "good psy[cho-visual] optimizations are more important than anything else for compression." He also criticized Google's announcement, saying that it shouldn't have publicized the format before its results are better than JPEG's.

Discuss

Last edited:

Exist

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2009
JPEG, my mortal enemy... To be honest, I don't care much for ultra compression unless it's for a school project or a client who has a slow service provider... The only thing that I use bitmaps for now a glow effects in flash intensive environments, seeing as Flash's filters cause more lag then 5 bitmaps.

Tl;dr - I hate bitmaps, Vector man!!!

REEJ

L420: High Member
Aug 26, 2010
Whatever loads faster.. yes please.
Go google go, you got too much money anyway

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
See? I warned the Internet — let people disown MPEG and H.265 because they're "not open formats" and they'll come after JPEG next! *harumph* Not that there isn't room for another lossy, photo-optimized format out there, preferably one that doesn't rely on breaking everything up into boxes and ignoring much larger areas of near-identical color (like, say, the sky).

I'm happy with lossless PNG.

Man, if I had a dollar for every time someone uses PNG inappropriately, I could probably pay to fund this project myself. People really need to be educated on the pros and cons of different formats or, at the very least, be forced to see how big their files are and how slow they load at DSL speeds.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Google said:
Did you know? WebP is pronounced "weppy". /(wĕpˈē)/

No, it's not! It's pronounced Web Pee. And that is just silly. And ironically appropriate.

Numerous

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 14, 2009
We don't have time to learn what different formats do Steve, we're busy learning about signs/modular, ones compliment, twos compliment, and making lame jokes about "threes crowd".

Also, vectors FTW.

Last edited: