Gold Slopes

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Mr. P. Kiwi, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Mr. P. Kiwi

Mr. P. Kiwi L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    This is my first map I have ever completed!
    Even though it's rather small, some of it's props are invisible, nothing works (doors open\close, control point, etc.) I think it should be on this site!
    I haven't made a link to the bsp. of the map because I think the map isn't worthy enough to be like that. I only added the vmf.
    If anyone have anything to say about the map (how ugly, not good, not worthy...) I will be happy to hear you!
    BTW - the map is a very dark...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  2. Bermuda Cake

Bermuda Cake L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Looks nice detail wise! But a bit cramped, especially that capture point

3. Frush

Frush L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    This looks pretty good, but post an overhead pic?

4. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    The reason it's so dark might be that it's full of leaks. I noticed from the VMF that there are no solid walls behind a lot of the displacements. I might be able to fix that up for you, add some optimization, etc. but as Bermuda said, it's rather cramped. I doubt it will play very well. Still, very pro detailing.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. honorum646

honorum646 L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    ^ Is true. I noticed only today that my map had a huge number of leaks, and that when I boxed it in my lights... were UBER bright.

Edit: Please try this.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  6. chickenm4n

chickenm4n L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    i love how randomly visiting this site will solve my problems as well.

7. Mr. P. Kiwi

Positive Ratings:
    Why should I place solid walls behind the displacements?
    And how?
    Anyway - I didn't thought to release it as a map that people will play in it... So I just detailed it nicely and uploaded it to the site... I hope that if I'll get some nice commets of how to make it playable I'll resize the map and change things. (And release an alpha! :woot:)

Thankyou all!

8. WastedMeerkat

WastedMeerkat L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Because displacements don't stop leaks. Create nodraw brushes under them to seal the void.

9. Boylee

aa Boylee pew pew pew

Positive Ratings:
    Generally it's wise to leave the detailing until after you've tested the gameplay as it saves a metric ton of redetailing and moving props. That's the reason that alphas normally have very little texturing/detailing done.

Props, func_detail brushes and displacements don't block light. For this reason you need to put brush walls behind and under displacements to stop leaks. Just stick in some big blocky brushes to seal and texture them with nodraw (as nodraw doesn't render but it does block light, weird I know).

If you need more info on leaks or optimisation in general there's a very good guide here: Half-Life 2 Map Editing Optimization Guide
    It's for HL2 but it's excellent and pretty much all of it is the same in TF2, I'd recommend reading it all if you haven't already. It certainly helped me a whole load.

Having said all of that, the detail work is excellent, I just hope you don't have to move too much of it.

10. Mr. P. Kiwi

Positive Ratings:
    Just one thing I have to say:
    The map was not created to be played! I made it so that I could see if it's looking good and if it'll work (so I could know if I'm a good map creater and I could make a normal map one day). But because all of you are really enthusiastic about my map I think I'll make the changes so that it could be playable...
    I'll fix it and release a bsp. format!
    Thanks for all of your help!