Go ahead, help me to catch up!

Feb 17, 2009
Hey there awesome people!
I haven't played tf in a while and I surely haven't followed the updates, news and what not.

Sooo, I guess I'd like to find out what has happened since... umm.. early January.
Spew out the things that have happened to/in tf2 and mapping.
Thanks. :)

Oh, and Happy Easter.!
bunny.png

Jun 19, 2009
Oh gee.... where to start.

1. The construction pack for tf2maps.net shipped.
  2. Monday Night Combat promotional items introduced.
  3. Rift promotional items introduced.
  4. Lakeside, frontier, and nightfall were made official.
  5. Promotion with Total War: Shogun 2 came out with 8 new weapons/hats made by Rob Laro.
  6. Hats for Help: 3 New hats / a few items introduced for Japan Relief charity (all funds from the mannco store went straight to Japan) This generated over $400,000!
  7. Several new hats and a bear added to the game.
  8. Potato hat / portal 2 pin added to the game.
  9. "Hatless Update" released that included tons of changes that used to be in the beta, then some of those weapon stat changes were reverted. This update also included paint changes, dynamic model loading, and a new VOIP system which apparently stops mic spam now. (It also broke all custom mods).
  10. Finally, Hats were added to portal 2 (along with a store similar to the mannco store).

Jun 19, 2009
Wait, what? How did I miss this?

Yup :V

So far nobody has been able to play VHS / Zombie fortress / advanced weaponiser properly. Also it's worthy to note that the items_game.txt has been made uneditable (for custom weapon making at least). This breaks stuff such as Ravidge's nohats mod (I believe).

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
They updated the source engine so that models rendered differently to increase performance. This update broken just about everything related to Sourcemod and other server related things.

We're still having issues with our own servers (see the impromptu yesterday, and my gameday last thursday)

Hell jumper also forgot a few little things, like duels can be "class locked" which means that you can have a duel pyro v pryo or something.

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
They also improved bots, such as Spy bots spawning by random and actually trying to backstab and sap, and full functionality on Payload maps.

Jack Riguel

L10: Glamorous Member
Jul 19, 2009
They also improved bots, such as Spy bots spawning by random and actually trying to backstab and sap, and full functionality on Payload maps.

Red also seems to have figured out that they can capture points. Still need further testing though, they at least were working on a TC map.

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
Red also seems to have figured out that they can capture points. Still need further testing though, they at least were working on a TC map.
Yeah, I noticed this too earlier today. Might try 5cp later.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT, THEY WORK ON 5CP.

Last edited:

Jack Riguel

L10: Glamorous Member
Jul 19, 2009
Yeah, I noticed this too earlier today. Might try 5cp later.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT, THEY WORK ON 5CP.

Yea been too busy to spending time conducting science on them.

Main observation as it stands is that pathfinding has somewhat worsened (I've seen more players get stuck on non-official bot maps). Also both sides are mostly awful at defending, usually only the engies stay behind.

Again, still need to test more. (Trying so hard to avoid portal 2 references.)

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Probably an undocumented change since it's still unfinished.