gm_towers final

Three towers!!!? Are you crazy?

1. Cynder loves Portal

Cynder loves Portal L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    gm_towers - Three towers!!!? Are you crazy?

This map that can be used in tf2, sfm, gmod and counter strike.

This has three towers. One for blue, one for red and one that's neutral.

One lift in the centre tower loads to an under ground facility that controls the power in the map.

In the power room there is a door to an ammo cache.

DANGER! DO NOT SWITCH OFF THE BREAKER PROTECTED BY AN YELLOW FORCEFEILD. Mann Co can not be held responsible for death by radiation poisoning that will occur.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  2. Twist.vmf

Twist.vmf L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    is this a Garry's mod map?

3. Cynder loves Portal

Positive Ratings:
    Forgot to put details in description. (fixed)

Sorry.

4. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Moved to the correct subforum, again. Please stop deleting your threads to update them, and please put them in the correct place. I gave you an official account warning for this, this time.

5. Cynder loves Portal

Positive Ratings:
    When i submitted it, there was no option to put it there. It put in the "other" category. Maybe you could take a look at that.

6. iiboharz

aa iiboharz eternally tired

Positive Ratings:
    bruh
    [​IMG]

7. Startacker!

Server Staff Startacker! Writing leaf ambient...

Positive Ratings:
    For the few years I've been on TF2Maps, I've always seen you consistently uploading, but never thought to actually check out one of your maps myself. So I decided I'd check out what the deal with the maps you upload are.

First problem is downloading the map itself. It's placed in a zip file, but is 260 megabytes! It's the third largest map in my maps folder now, but could be a lot less (90 megabytes according to the zipped version) if it was repacked. You should look into repacking. Additionally, you bundled a source zip into this zip file, which is unnecessary due to how compression works. And even then, there's a third zip file nestled into this source zip! This is quite clumsy, doesn't offer any further compression, and makes Windows Explorer cry every time it has to create a temporary folder for the content.

But whatever, I'm not going to be using the source files. I'm just here for the map. I find the use of the "gm" prefix interesting for your map, as that literally stands for Garry's Mod. You list off that the map works in both Team Fortress 2 and Garry's Mod, which I guess is fine. Although the inclusion of Counter-Strike: Source is interesting, how many games can support this map? And if this map is designed for Garry's Mod, why is it on a Team Fortress 2 mapping website? I'll get onto these later, as there's a larger problem at hand.

This map, gm_towers, does not function in Team Fortress 2. And I say that quite literally, as my console just printed out "map load failed: gm_towers not found or invalid." So, this map doesn't actually work for Team Fortress 2, as the game literally can not load this. One would assume that you'd be able to test your map in the game its being uploaded to a website for, but you seem to have an issue getting your Team Fortress 2 to load at all. Maybe it's time for a fresh reinstall?

But I still haven't seen the map, and there's three more games to go (two, really, SFM is a tool). I imported the map into Garry's Mod, and disabled all my add-ons to make sure they didn't conflict at all with the map. To my surprise, the map loaded just fine.

Except, it's not a Team Fortress 2 map. I can see the general layout of what could be a Team Fortress 2 map, but the map seems more built for Garry's Mod. I've compiled together screenshots of this map, a step that I believe I'm the only person to have done, other than you.

20200313163709_1.jpg 20200313163624_1.jpg 20200313163545_1.jpg 20200313163509_1.jpg 20200313163645_1.jpg 20200313163521_1.jpg 20200313163630_1.jpg 20200313163634_1.jpg 20200313163527_1.jpg 20200313163607_1.jpg 20200313163556_1.jpg 20200313163601_1.jpg 20200313163737_1.jpg 20200313163514_1.jpg 20200313163723_1.jpg

I honestly thought the map was fullbright at first, considering that the outside has next to no shadows. The indoor areas prove me wrong though, as there are indeed dynamic lighting! Pulling the switch in the first screenshot turns them all off, and a looping alarm plays while it is off, never stopping until the power turns on again. However, this is something that doesn't fit in Team Fortress 2, as there is no actual use of the use keys. You'd have to specifically bind a key to use it in the first place, which in itself is clunky and unresponsive in Team Fortress 2.

Some of the other screenshots may be familiar to others, as they use Half-Life 2 entities. HEV suits, wall chargers, ammo pickups, a plethora of healthkits, they all sit in a resupply room accessed via an elevator shaft. There's a lot of them, and if this was for Team Fortress 2, wouldn't a standard resupply cabinet work? But the amount of entities that are here put another thought into my head...

Edicts. While a lot of the HL2 entities would just not exist during run time in Team Fortress 2, you use an awful lot of them in this map. To be more specific, your map (with a single player on it) eats up 1,812 edicts. Team Fortress 2 has a limit of 2048 edicts at once. Exceeding this causes an immediate server crash. Hydro and Snowplow experience crashes by themselves on extended 32 player servers, I could see this map crashing with just 12. Luckily, this is less of a problem in Garry's Mod, where this limit is doubled. But the overall inclusion of all of these furthers my question of why this map is being targeted towards Team Fortress 2 in the first place.

Which is now where I am. I want to lay a question onto you, Cynder: what's your objective with these maps? I try not to be demeaning with my question here, but what drives you to make these maps with a focus towards play in Team Fortress 2? The map itself is rejected by Team Fortress 2, and the layout of the map seems to suit itself better towards the laid-back nature of Garry's Mod Sandbox. I want you to make what you want to make, but is TF2Maps really the place you want to be pushing your maps to? You have 44 downloads on this site, but why here?

• Agree Agree x 8
  8. Twist.vmf

Twist.vmf L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    GameBanana is still up and running.
    maybe it could go there.

9. Cynder loves Portal

Positive Ratings:
    It doesn't work in the "normal" tf2 because i used the portal 2 compiler. That's probably why.

It still works in sfm version of tf2 though.

10. Yrr

aa Yrr An Actual Deer

Positive Ratings:
    why

11. Cynder loves Portal

Positive Ratings:
    The garrysmod one is too slow.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. AsG_Alligator

aa AsG_Alligator qhull precision error

Positive Ratings:
    That's not even remotely close to how that works.

13. Stiffy360

Stiffy360 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    There shouldn't be any speed difference between gmod's and portal 2's. The only difference is that portal 2's compile tools tells windows what it's doing so it doesn't just look like it's "hanging/freezing" like gmods.