Suna

What's a greybox?
aa
Nov 10, 2017
4d1w8qxi25.png

Rules and Information
|
Upload Thread | Voting | Results

With the world currently in a bit of a travel stasis, wouldn't it be great to virtually experience the sights and sounds of far away lands? Now you can, with our newest detailing contest: The Globetrotter Detailing Contest!

This time around, our theme/restriction is to create a 4096x4096 detail scene set in a country/region outside of the Mainland US, Canada, or Alaska! (Fictional locations are also okay, but should appropriately fit into a certain region.)

Rules:
  • 4096x4096 size. No height limit. This size limit only includes the areas players can access as well as any 'out of bounds' areas.
  • 3D skybox is allowed.
  • Custom content is allowed as long as it fits one or both of the following criteria: It is made entirely by yourself, or available for public download prior to the start of the contest.
  • Collaborations are not allowed.
  • Maximum of two entries per person.
  • Your map must be TF2 styled.
  • Your map must be playable within TF2 (doesn't crash the game, properly boots, etc).
  • Your submission MUST follow this naming convention: globetrotter_<forum name>.bsp (If your forum name is absurdly long, please abbreviate where you can)
    • If you submit two entries, add a "_2" to your second entry.
  • Everything must be finished and submitted in the upload thread before the deadline! Upload thread will be up a couples weeks prior to the deadline and you are allowed to submit any time within that period, and update your entry as many times as necessary before the deadline. No extensions will be given.
Deadline:

The contest begins as of this post.

The deadline is 8:00AM 14th March 2022 GMT+0

Please see below for local time

PST -- 12:00 AM, 14th March 2022
MST -- 1:00 AM, 14th March 2022
EST -- 3:00 AM, 14th March 2022
BST -- 8:00 AM, 14th March 2022

CST/SGT/AWST -- 4:00 PM, 14th March 2022
JST/KST -- 5:00 PM, 14th March 2022

AEST -- 7:00 PM, 14th March 2022
NZST -- 9:00 PM, 14th March 2022

---

Submission Format:

In your submission:
  • A link to your .bsp in the naming format above. Please compress your map also.
  • Please make sure ALL content is packed into your BSPs, but please make sure it follows the custom content rules above. I recommend CompilePal or VIDE.
  • Provide a short description of your map, without a screenshot, as well as a note which states which region/country your entry is set in.

Prizes:
(Prizes available as either Steam or Marketplace.tf Credit)

First place:
$60 USD
Mapper's Medallion

Second place:
$40 USD

Third place:
$20 USD

FAQ:

What can we map? What's with the theme? Can I get clarifications?
You can map anything so as long as it abides by the rules. The theme is yours to interpret how you wish, but as long as your entry makes a conceited effort at appearing as 'foreign' as possible, you should be fine! Try your best to embrace the sprit of the theme, showing interesting environments and aesthetics never before seen in TF2! I have compiled a list of official maps along with their themes below to showcase what would/would not qualify for this contest. Of course, if you have any further questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer.

MAP | THEME | WOULD IT QUALIFY?
2fort | Farm | No
Turbine | Spytech | No, location too vague
Badlands | Desert | No
Coldfront | Tundra | Yes
Sunshine | Coastal | Yes
Yukon | Forest | No
Mossrock | Forest | Yes
Degroot Keep | Alpine | Yes
Wutville | Smissmass | ...Yes?
Banana Bay | Island | Yes
Nightfall | Forest | No
Lumberyard | Alpine | No, location too vague
Nucleus | Spytech/Desert | No, location too vague
Los Muertos | Urban | Yes
Asteroid | Moon | Yes, technically
Monster Bash | Alpine | Yes
Watergate | Maritime | Yes

Can we detail an existing map (ie. dev textures)?
Yes, as long as it fits within the size constraints and was made by you, and has had no previous detail work done.

Does the 3d skybox also have to be inside the 4096x4096 space?
Yes, the skybox must fit within the limits, however remember that there is no limit to height so you can put it above or below the map safely.

Will sound in the map also be judged as detail?
The judging process at the end of the contest is essentially players wandering through maps and voting on whichever they liked best. So you should add anything that would help improve the 'experience' of the map. This includes logic, sound, animations, etc.

Can I donate to the prize stash?
Of course! This would be highly appreciated, but not at all required.

Where can I get some useful assets for this contest?
Right here!:

Last edited:

Aapelikaeki

L3: Member
Feb 24, 2018
Great contest idea, gonna finally try and bring this concept of mine to life properly!
islandwipss.png islandmapconcept.png

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
If I don't see a Principality of Sealand submission, I'm gonna do something drastic (i.e. make one myself)

PrivateerMan

L1: Registered
Apr 17, 2018
One setting I think is somewhat underutilized is Mediterranean/Adriatic coast. Almost flat rooftops of houses of varying sizes would allow for both variety and a lovely aesthetic that can be rustic, colorful, and a mix of warm red (roof tiles, yellow-ish brickwork) and cool blue color schemes (the Sea and Sky).

EDIT: Dammit how do I shrink images like Aapelikaeki
mediterranean-town-15952301.jpg
flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg
depositphotos_153983068-stock-photo-adriatic-town-of-opatija-watefront.jpg

Lonely Author

L2: Junior Member
Aug 27, 2021
Hey, I got a question:

What if I want to use a friend's art(That was not made for this project, and is publicly visible/available rn) in my project?

is that allowed if I convert it to a texture?

Last edited: