getting started

pizzapimp

L1: Registered
Feb 9, 2009
I have a cool Idea for a map, but I just can't seem to get started making it, any tips to get this huge lead ball rolling?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Yeah, you read the stickies, they instruct you in the ways of everything.

pizzapimp

Feb 9, 2009
yeah but its just so daunting. I've fooled around with hammer and I'm sure I could make it, but It just seems hard to do it by myself

BagOfChips

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 7, 2009
Google for tuts, look at this site for tuts, and watch this guy's tuts: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQeqVSrAsf0"]YouTube - PH4T3's How to Make Maps for TF2 Tutorial - Chapter 1[/ame] There's 8 chapters and he coves the basics from brushes to doors.

pizzapimp

Feb 9, 2009
cool, and I was looking at FPS banana at the prefabs and the one pack that gave mr the idea of this map and guess who posted it?

ClydeJr

Oct 30, 2008
Using Hammer is just another skill to learn, like learning a new programming language, or how to sew a quilt, or how to skin small furry woodland animals. First couple times you do it, you'll get an ugly map/memory-eating code/a badly sewn blanket/a bloody mess. It just takes time and a little practice (and maybe a large supply of dead small furry woodland animals). There are plenty of how-tos and tutorials all over this site, youtube, and other places.

If you get a good idea in your head, that should take care of the laziness. Plus remember that its not a race. Work on it a little while, then put it on the back burner for a few days/weeks. Come back refreshed.

Notice: No small furry woodland animals were harmed in the making of this post. They were already dead when we found them.

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
Can no one read?

The best way to map is to force yourself to map. That is the only way to get over laziness. Once you get your idea, it'll flow out relatively easy.