Getting pissed of on FPS Banana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
I always comment people their maps, and i give my honest opinion. Most of the time it comed down on: learn to map you idiot (guys that dont have an env_light in their map) etc etc

Now what i see more and more is that people make css maps... FOR TF2?
Example of this one:http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/40506#msgbox
sure it looks ok... but for TEAM FORTRESS 2? This faggot stole css textures from another map. The horrible thing is people like this sometimes and put it on their server. Can you imagine a tf2 character in that map with realistic textures? It does not fit! I hate these people because they fuck up the game i love.

I wish valve rated the maps :(

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
I always comment people their maps, and i give my honest opinion. Most of the time it comed down on: learn to map you idiot (guys that dont have an env_light in their map) etc etc

Now what i see more and more is that people make css maps... FOR TF2?
Example of this one:http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/40506#msgbox
sure it looks ok... but for TEAM FORTRESS 2? This faggot stole css textures from another map. The horrible thing is people like this sometimes and put it on their server. Can you imagine a tf2 character in that map with realistic textures? It does not fit! I hate these people because they fuck up the game i love.

I wish valve rated the maps :(

yea i know how you feel about people just releasing something as fast as they can. it clutters the selection and it shows the good mappers from the bad. but look at it this way, it will just make your map look even better lol

ThatGuy

L2: Junior Member
Nov 5, 2007
I agree with you, realistic textures look horrible playing with TF2, but..

By my understanding I thought the same author who made the TF2 version also made the CSS version so he didn't steal anything.

Go to the bottum of the page and see "More by.. <name>"

Intraman

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm sorry, (well no I'm not), but you really need to learn how to comment on people's work. Saying stuff like "OMG UR STOOOPID!!1! LRN 2 MAP!" is not being productive or helpful or anything of worth to the person who made the map. What you should do, if you know it's the person's first map ever or if they're a novice is give helpful direction. Perhaps they don't know about the source wiki and don't know to add lightening effects. Many of the tutorials and such are not easily found unless one looks really hard. It's not like there's a big flashing link to the helpful places once you open the SDK. You were a novice once too, I'm sure, and judging from your general personality probably made the same type of mistakes and did stupid things.
Does that mean that it's ok for novices to upload their lame box maps as quickly as possible? No, of course not, but there are better, more mature ways to deal with them instead of being an arrogant unhelpful douche about it.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
I'm sorry, (well no I'm not), but you really need to learn how to comment on people's work. Saying stuff like "OMG UR STOOOPID!!1! LRN 2 MAP!" is not being productive or helpful or anything of worth to the person who made the map. What you should do, if you know it's the person's first map ever or if they're a novice is give helpful direction. Perhaps they don't know about the source wiki and don't know to add lightening effects. Many of the tutorials and such are not easily found unless one looks really hard. It's not like there's a big flashing link to the helpful places once you open the SDK. You were a novice once too, I'm sure, and judging from your general personality probably made the same type of mistakes and did stupid things.
Does that mean that it's ok for novices to upload their lame box maps as quickly as possible? No, of course not, but there are better, more mature ways to deal with them instead of being an arrogant unhelpful douche about it.

get out of here with your logic :tt2:

intraman has a point tho, try not to be so hostile towards others. while yes some do just make shitty maps just because they can, others are still new to the game and might need some direction.

Ziggurat

L1: Registered
Nov 7, 2007
People should be able to release whatever they want.

Did anyone tell Levelord "No, you can't make a map that just floats in space with no adherance to Quake's dark gothic theme! (hipdm1)"? Nah, and it's good they didn't, because he could laugh now considering it's a staple deathmatch theme in the Quake series.

I already replied to your thread on the steam forums, but I'll go a step further on here. I think your overly critical look on other people's maps is actually far more destructive than that person releasing an uninspired/quirky map for TF2. I'd say most of those maps are made by people who are just learning level design and hammer, and encouraging words and suggestions will go a lot further than telling them "learn to map you idiot" and calling them faggots.

I'd also point out that if you ever were looking for a job in the games industry, it wouldn't be far fetched to believe your employee might take a look at your posts on level design forums to gauge your professionalism.

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
Well fortunately, we won't have to depend on them much longer. We have a genuine submission area now, though it's still under construction atm. But soon!

Snipergen

Nov 16, 2007
HMmm its true. I need to calm down. I cant ban them all cant I.
Anyway im just sure im not the only one that thinks like I.

Instead of bashing on their maps I think im gonna make a big tutorial how to make a decent map for TF2. That should help a lot of folks.

And indeed he didnt rip the textures. Have to apologize for that.

Gonna delete some posts on fps banana too. Doesnt help, I vote 3, all the others vote 10

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
The world isn't black and white (or red and blue); we can have great appreciation for those maps that do recognize the distinct art style of TF2 while not hating all other maps to the point where we can't recognize their other virtues.

Of course, I think this also illustrates one of the flaws in FPSB, or any system that relies on some arbitrary numerical value. Different people have different values for different aspects of a map. Different people use completely different scales of judgement, too. Until you get hundreds of people submitting a score, trying to mash all of that into a single number between 1 and 10 is pretty meaningless.

Logo

L3: Member
Oct 25, 2007
The scale of 1 to 10 has 6 numbers for completely sucks unfortunately.

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
On this note, is there a way while in Hammer to differentiate between TF2 textures and HL2 textures? I can usually tell by how painted the TF2 textures are, but that's not always the case. I want my map to have TF2 textures only, but Hammer throws textures from all games into one big pile and it can get hard to tell.

Ziggurat

L1: Registered
Nov 7, 2007
On this note, is there a way while in Hammer to differentiate between TF2 textures and HL2 textures? I can usually tell by how painted the TF2 textures are, but that's not always the case. I want my map to have TF2 textures only, but Hammer throws textures from all games into one big pile and it can get hard to tell.

put tf into the keyword field in the texture browser

Sacrifist

Nov 21, 2007
And your awesome assessment of my DIRECT PORT of warpath? In which you gave a 1/10. You are an asshat. If I wanted to create a prettied up TF2 version of Warpath I would of, but that isnt what I was going for at all. Some people like the fact that the map isnt some souped up crapfest of models scattering the entire map and dropping fps down to a standstill. Some prefer a simple look with excellent gameplay. The admins at fpsbanana felt the same as I did and removed your score.

link of his awesome comment on the map:
http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/39398?posts_page=3

Snipergen

Nov 16, 2007
And my opinion stays the same. Although ive changed my attitude about bashing on these maps.

And your point to register to write this down here is...?

The funny thing is, ive played your map alot. And i just cant stand looking at it, the same texture everywhere, the lightning is very strange, its like you play on another planet, breakable walls?
Well its clear we dont share the same opinion about tf2 mapping. I bet you were one of those css guys that liked surf,, aim or gg.

Last edited:

Sacrifist

Nov 21, 2007
I hate CSS, sorry you are way off lol. There were breakable walls in the original and check my register date before you lose yourself in all your assumptions lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.